Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rear brakes wear out much more than fronts

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Over the years, I have been replacing rear brake pads, then replace all, then replace rears, then replace all.
So rears wear out roughly twice as much. First thought is that the load proportioning valve is out of whack, so too much force is going to rear calipers. But if that were so, I would expect the rear brakes to lockup anytime I did a panic stop (doesn't have ABS). They don't lockup. I am not carrying a load, there is just a towbar and tub liner that would be lowering the rear a little. Another possibility: stuck caliper slides, but they are okay.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If it is a ute, yes it is possible the rear proportioning valve is causing the problem, but honestly the caliper slides would be my first port of call....

Brakes work via the fronts doing 70% (give or take a few %) and the rears the other 30%....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Should be able to google the specs/diagram to adjust bracket & chain on panhard bar...unsure if it will fix your issue but does make a difference if ride height has been changed.

Could also go to harder compound rear pads if it annoys you that much.

I lowered my ute & then took heaps of weight out of it later on to the point it felt like it had no rear brakes then found measurement to adjust chain bracket...stops flatter or more level yet hammer it hard enough will lock front wheel.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Are the pads wearing evenly? Check that the caliper moves freely and smoothly on the slide pins first off.