Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Demister Probs

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
Gday Lads...
slight problem with my rear demister.
Im not getting power to the demister coil after putting a multimeter on one of the wires presuming one is the earth and the other is the supply not sure on Volts 12V maybe.???? yes i have tried both with a good earth ;) im not getting any power
When i press the button on my control on the dash the red light turns on and i hear a relay clicking over. All fuses are good, i cant find which one it is using.. Possibly it is sharing a fuse?? either the wire has been cut/disconnected under side trims... this causing it to blow a fuse i would guess if it earths out to body.( but all fuses are good as stated above) possibly it could be in the switch itself as in light is switching on but not switching over the circuit.???(unless it runs on same as the light)..
So hopefully you fellas have got some suggestions, if i cant find it i will simply rewire in another switch to control it instead.
Thanks guys in advance.
Nath

Last edited:

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
im having similar problem, light comes on but doesnt seem to demist.
havent checked any wires or anything though but i would also be interested to know how ya go

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
these are an absolute pr!ck of a thing, i have 2 lines that don't work but the rest do so I am not stuffing with it , I believe it is fuse #7, and I think your problem lies in the windscreen and rear window module( located, black box above bonnet release handle under dash), the rear demister is the V-violet wire at the module plug. and you are right one is supply(i think it is drivers side) the other goes to earth.
it could be the switch they are not the best of quality, also if there is a hair line fracture in the copper tape on the window it will not work so look closely.
hope I have enlightened you in some way, good luck:thumbsup:

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
cheers but that good to know. ill have a look in the light when i have time. ill test the black box wire as mentioned to see if its out putting a voltage if im getting one here and not on the spade plug at the demister coil ill run a fresh wire in place.... hopefully i have not yanked it/damaged it installing stereo cables along the same run..
Cheers Jats :p
My old berlina had that as well 2 lines didnt work it was the bottom 2 they had a knife cut through them... possibly removing old tint film..

OShaunessy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec MY06
I had the same problem and just fixed it. At the rear screen there is a visible black wire on the passenger side which is earth; on the driver's side behind the plastic cover running down the C-pillar is a purple wire with a spade plug which is power. On mine the spade plug (with plastic cover) was jammed between the spade and the C-pillar instead of on the spade. It was tight so it would've felt connected if someone tried to plug it in without looking. I've only had the car for a week and it came from up north somewhere so it may have been like that out of the factory and the previous owner never needed it.

The relay that operates the rear window demister is bottom RHS of fuse box, to find it just put your finger on it and turn the switch on and off and you can feel it switching. The switch will light up and the relay will activate with the fuse out so the fuse must be between the relay and the demister.