Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Door Won't Open

Camikazi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive, VE SS
Hi guys,

I have a VT that has a back door which has never been opened since I bought it (2013).
It can't be opened from the inside or out, i think it may be possibly due to a stuffed child restraint lock, but was wondering if anyone knows a way in which to forcefully open it without damaging the door or paint.
I want to avoid paying top doller to get it done professionally, so if anyone knows anything it will be much appreciated.

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Remove base of rear seat , remove side seat that door won't open , pull door seal into the car where the child lock is , get a small flat blade and torch you will be able to flick the child lock off through the gap.

Camikazi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive, VE SS
Thankyou for your reply, definitely worth a try

Camikazi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive, VE SS
Ok next idea, is it possible to remove the door card and put it back on later? I know theres clips but can you take it off without breaking them?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Not without opening the door, it's got screws holding it to the door.
I would suggest getting a can of crc/wd40/inox with a straw on it and drowning the mech using the method above to get access to it.
When trying to open it hold the handle out and push then pull on the door (not with to much force as the handles are plastic and may break)

Will see if i can work it out tomorrow on a wreck in the yard n see what the least damaging method will be.

Camikazi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive, VE SS
Thankyou for the advice Jxw, yeah will get some WD40 hopefully tomorrow and give it a crack.
If you could try on a wreck that would be very much appreciated.
Let us know how you go mate, am interested to know

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Looks like holden thought of getting to it from the outside (theft/tamper plate covering everything under the quarter window), destroying the inside seems to be your option here.

I have seen a front mech that shat itself, if the door was locked and was attempted to be opened the mech would jam (locking/unlocking repeatedly wouldn't free it)
worked out if it was left locked and driven over some bumps it'd reset. After working this out giving it a few thumbs with a fist around where the mech is also worked.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Had a bit more of think on this one, after making sure the child lock is off and drowning it in lube.
Remove the inside door handle to get access to the rod, pull it as far as possible (either screwdriver or pliers) and let it snap back, try and get the mech moving.
You may even be lucky and putting that extra tension opens the door.

Anything is worth trying before destroying stuff.

DirkDiggler76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V 2010
Had a bit more of think on this one, after making sure the child lock is off and drowning it in lube.
Remove the inside door handle to get access to the rod, pull it as far as possible (either screwdriver or pliers) and let it snap back, try and get the mech moving.
You may even be lucky and putting that extra tension opens the door.

Anything is worth trying before destroying stuff.
how do you remove the inside handle to get access to the rod