Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear headrest removal

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Hey all, well I picked up a SV3800 as the new project (months ago now) in very poor condition (details later). Two windows were broken, main rear door and quarter (not in door) on the passenger side. Previous owners dad hit it with the mower. So anyway Ive got the main window in but cant get to the quarter just yet. I know how they go in, the glass was salvaged from the old VN. I havnt managed to get the rear seat out because of the headrests. The bolts for them come out behind the shelf. Well its a stud with a nyloc nut. The problem is the studs turn freely! I managed to get one of the nuts off because it was already almost off. The other 3 are almost off but there isnt enough room yet to get a good grip behind the nuts. To get them to this stage I grabbed the ends with vice grips. The threads are a bit rusty too and WD-40 isnt really doing much at this stage.

Now Im wondering if anyones come across this before? And if theres an easier way? I will say there is no way to get your hand behind the seat, and the mounts for the headrests that go through the top of the seat dont turn at all. Really crappy setup if you ask me lol. Attached is some pictures so you know what Im on about. Not sure what other models these came out on.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2416.JPG
    IMG_2416.JPG
    441.1 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 245

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Can you cut a slot in the bolt then use a nice big flathead screwdriver to hold it whilst undoing the nut?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Thats defiantly an idea. Diddnt want to hack at it but Im running out of ideas lol. New bolts wont be hard to find, and will need to be tacked to whatevers meant to be holding it anyway.