Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear left brake light

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
Is there a way to permanently make the left rear brake light stay working? I've changed the globes and they work however there is something with the way the connection or the way the globe is held into place that must be causing this to consistently stop working after a while. What are the solutions that people have come up with over the years? Do any aftermarket solutions exist?

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
How does it stop working?
Does it keep blowing or are the contacts failing?

When replacing globes make sure to clean any fingerprints off with a soft,clean rag and metho or the like.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Dig the gunk out of the harness plug at the globe end.

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
How does it stop working?
Does it keep blowing or are the contacts failing?

When replacing globes make sure to clean any fingerprints off with a soft,clean rag and metho or the like.
The globe doesn't fail or blow out. It just doesn't flash when I brake. It could be the contact or something else related to the socket.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The globe doesn't fail or blow out. It just doesn't flash when I brake. It could be the contact or something else related to the socket.
Good possibility it is losing the earth which is a common problem with tail/stop lights.
You don't say if it is only the stop lamp or stop and tail.

commodorev6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais V6
Good possibility it is losing the earth which is a common problem with tail/stop lights.
You don't say if it is only the stop lamp or stop and tail.
Its just the stop lamp when I hit the brake pedal. The lights appear to work. I removed the rear tail light today and moved the globe around in the socket and it seems to be working again. I think its a connection issue. Might be time to replace the globe socket.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Its just the stop lamp when I hit the brake pedal. The lights appear to work. I removed the rear tail light today and moved the globe around in the socket and it seems to be working again. I think its a connection issue. Might be time to replace the globe socket.
Sounds like a good idea

rickybobby

shake 'n' bake
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 T5, VR V8 T5, VS L67 statto, VY V6
a common failure is a corroded metal connector hidden inside the molded plastic housing of the socket where the (often earth) wires connect to the metal parts inside the socket.

you can sometimes successfully cut away the plastic covering the damaged connection for repair access, hopefully without damaging the tabs that click the entire socket into the lens assembly.

or just buy a new socket ... but some of them are pricey, rare and/or require patience waiting for delivery.