Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear main seal leaking after Supercharger

timbra_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5ltr
Hey guys, got myself a series 1 Vn V6. Decided to put one of the CRS superchargers on.. And now my motor is blowing oil out the ass end of it. The blower is only running a 3 psi pulley so im sorta confused. Can anyone shed some light on why this is happenin and maybe a way of fixing it? Cheers

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
hey man, i got a turboed VN and had that exact same problem, even had oil coming up my dipstick... :bang: realised that there was a hose coming out the throttle body going into the valley cover. When u running boost, it forces air into the valley cover thus pushing oil out of where ever its easiest to come out. If you havent disconnected that hose and blocked the hole in the throttle body, thats ur problem, otherwise, i dunno...
Good luck :thumbsup:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
As above, that's your problem. You need to move the vaccum hoses to a pre boosted part of the intake

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Smooth move fellas, you turned your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) into a CPS (Crankcase Pressurisation System). :p

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i did the same thing too cos i forgot to change it
just replace ya rear main. they are not hard to do

timbra_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5ltr
Smooth move fellas, you turned your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) into a CPS (Crankcase Pressurisation System). :p

Ok, so basically i just have to move or swap all my Vac lines to before the super charger and remove the one from the cover and it should stop this from happening? Also once ive done this, will i need to replace my seal? Or will it be ok to keep using the one thats already there.

Thanks for all the replies, it makes sense now.... :)

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Ok, so basically i just have to move or swap all my Vac lines to before the super charger and remove the one from the cover and it should stop this from happening? Also once ive done this, will i need to replace my seal? Or will it be ok to keep using the one thats already there.

Thanks for all the replies, it makes sense now.... :)

I've never done this myself but yeah, my understanding is that vacuum lines need to be moved to somewhere where there is vacuum instead of a positive pressure. The PCV hose to the cover is required for roadworthy, as it's an emissions thing, don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of operations though. Might as well move it with the rest of the vacuum hoses though, it's only a little bit more effort. If you've blown out the rear main seal, you will need to fit a new one, dunno if I'd bother though. The rear main on my 5L just decided to go, it's leaking about 200ml of oil a week, I'm in no great hurry to fix it.

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
there is a hose that goes from the throttle body to the valley cover, u need to block the one that comes off the t/b and run a hose from the valley cover to the intake side of the charger, i thought the crs intake pipe has a fitting for this hose on it?
i will try to find a few pics to help explainn what im saying.
Matt

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
heres a pic mate, hope it helps.

Attachments

• sc14 pcv hose.JPG
    sc14 pcv hose.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 2,155

timbra_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5ltr
Thanks guys. I blocked that hose off and problem is solved..