Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rear projection tv's

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by nmj, Jul 25, 2006.

1. nmj

nmj New Member

Members Ride:
    Vx Acclaim S2
    is it true you shouldnt play any console games.. eg xbox 360 on the rear projector..

i heard you should cos it burns the picture into the screen, but if you play for short periods, you'd think it wouldnt...

cheers

2. coolvxss

coolvxss New Member

Members Ride:
    5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
    Ive heard that it only happens on plasmas. I could be wrong

3. Lumps of cheese

Lumps of cheese welcome to the machine

Members Ride:
    83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
    I have a plasma tv and use my playstation on it all the time and have never had a problem, just gotta make sure you don't pause your game/movie and leave the tv on for long periods.
    The lcd tv's apparently don't have this problem at all.

4. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Random

Members Ride:
    2016 Golf GTI PP
    Yeah,I thought the same as that^^^

5. fu2

fu2 The Man With No Name

Members Ride:
    VP Berlina II - GU Patrol CRD
    i think 360's are fine aslong as you dont pause for a long time. ps1;s had a warning in there instructions saying they cant be played on rear projection tvs

6. Patrio7

Patrio7 3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.

Members Ride:
    '96 S1 VS Exec
    lcds are fine but wont work with ligh guns, the issue with games is not so much the pausing but what about HUD's? as an example, say PGR3 for 360, the lap x of x. a frw laps on nurburg and lots of "grind time" on any track and you'll get it burned in.

plasmas should be ok too i think, crts, well they can get burn in [ saw a monitor that was used for a security cam, all the night running had a image of a front counter burnt into it. ] but crt's take ages to get burn in.

7. matty88

matty88 LPG Installer :p

Members Ride:
    TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
    only plasmas get burn problems, LCD and rear projection are fine

8. Jimboss

Jimboss New Member

Not only that, the way the Plasma's are produced (poorly), it limits their life considerably, every one that is on the market will not last beyond 10 years without a significant drop in picture quality etc ... and that's if they last that long!

All the company's that produce Plasma's are interested in making money (absolutely understandable), but this leads to products which aren't as good as they could/should be.

I know it's a little off topic, but i thought i'd share what i have learnt :)

9. mattman

mattman New Member

Members Ride:
    '00 WH V6
    Actually it's been something they are addressing. They want to make money but consumers are aware of the plasma half-life issue... so if they are scared they won't buy! Plasmas used to have a half-life of 2-3 years, now they are up to almost 10 years. For someone willing to drop $4-5K on a tv... I don't think that's going to be a mega issue, likely they will update before then anyway.

10. Joe Peeps

Joe Peeps New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim
    Newer plasmas have half-lives of around 60000hrs. Allowing for the obligatory hype, call it 30k hrs before the picture gets too bad, thats assuming deterioration is linear (i dont know the workings of phosphate gases or whatever it is they use - Jimboss or anyone else?) At 5hrs a day, your TV should last 16yrs and be at 75% brightness. Worth it? Who knows. To use an analogy, if your Holden was still worth 75% of its value in 10 yrs, would you complain?

11. Jimboss

Jimboss New Member

Well that's the only reason they have been able to get away with the poor quality for so long, rich people aren't happy with 3 or 4 year old technology, even if it still works like new :)

I am not completely knowledgeable on the subject, i was just talking to a Physics teacher and we got on the subject of new and important breakthroughs (nuclear physics mainly, but we got onto the everyday stuff), and they mentioned that the actual base that they use for production plasma's are quite poor quality. Apparently they knew this from day one, but didn't want to spend the extra money straight away to fix the problem... go figure:D

12. commod8

commod8 swim wit da fishes

Members Ride:
    VR Executive V6 Auto
    i've heard that you shouldn't play console games on a rear projections tv, my cousin does and hasn't had any problems, although this doesn't mean yo uwon't have any. so it's a bit of a bummer

13. andyman

andyman The Only 6sp VZ Wagon

Members Ride:
    2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
    if it constantly changing picture it should be fine shouldn't it, at school they have those crappy apple emacs, they are probably about a year old and the login screen is burnt into it

14. nmj

nmj New Member

Members Ride:
    Vx Acclaim S2
    yeah cheers guys... i migh give panasonic a call and c what they say...

15. andyman

andyman The Only 6sp VZ Wagon

Members Ride:
    2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
    if your looking for a tv consider an LG, i think they are great and the screens are made by phillips/lg called LgPhillips or something

16. sircruisealotVS

sircruisealotVS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ LS1 Calais
    ive had my toshiba 102cm rear projection tv for ages and have played all sorts of games on it with no dramas....when i bought it though, my brother (who worked at the hi-fi place) said that leaving a game paused for an extented time can burn the image into the screen.
    also, just a note, never try to move a rear projection tv whilst still on, i found that out the hard way.

17. geta

geta New Member

Hit a few X360 forums. Plenty of people use rear-pro tv's without an issue. Toshiba make a 72" DLP that you can pick up for around $6500, with 1080p capabilites (DING). Prefably pick something up with at least one HDMI input.

Also, if your buying a newy for the X360, ensure that whatever tv you buy is capable of displaying 720p and 1080i at PAL 60Hz, there are plenty of disgruntled aussies out there with TV's (mainly CRT and rear-pro) who's HD TV's only display 576p/720p & 1080i @ PAL 50hz, limiting the picture quality.

The only other thing about older rear-pro's is the quality of the viewing angle being quite limited. Go check a few out, you'll find you'll only get bright, clear pictures if you are sitting -20 - 20 degrees either side of the screen, but DLP's pretty much take care of that.

Oh, and factor in another $400-$600 (depending on brand) for a HD STB