Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rear projection tv's

nmj

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Acclaim S2
is it true you shouldnt play any console games.. eg xbox 360 on the rear projector..

i heard you should cos it burns the picture into the screen, but if you play for short periods, you'd think it wouldnt...

cheers

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Ive heard that it only happens on plasmas. I could be wrong

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I have a plasma tv and use my playstation on it all the time and have never had a problem, just gotta make sure you don't pause your game/movie and leave the tv on for long periods.
The lcd tv's apparently don't have this problem at all.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Yeah,I thought the same as that^^^

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
lcds are fine but wont work with ligh guns, the issue with games is not so much the pausing but what about HUD's? as an example, say PGR3 for 360, the lap x of x. a frw laps on nurburg and lots of "grind time" on any track and you'll get it burned in.

plasmas should be ok too i think, crts, well they can get burn in [ saw a monitor that was used for a security cam, all the night running had a image of a front counter burnt into it. ] but crt's take ages to get burn in.

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
only plasmas get burn problems, LCD and rear projection are fine

Jimboss

Reaction score
Not only that, the way the Plasma's are produced (poorly), it limits their life considerably, every one that is on the market will not last beyond 10 years without a significant drop in picture quality etc ... and that's if they last that long!

All the company's that produce Plasma's are interested in making money (absolutely understandable), but this leads to products which aren't as good as they could/should be.

I know it's a little off topic, but i thought i'd share what i have learnt :)

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Jimboss said:
All the company's that produce Plasma's are interested in making money (absolutely understandable), but this leads to products which aren't as good as they could/should be.

Actually it's been something they are addressing. They want to make money but consumers are aware of the plasma half-life issue... so if they are scared they won't buy! Plasmas used to have a half-life of 2-3 years, now they are up to almost 10 years. For someone willing to drop $4-5K on a tv... I don't think that's going to be a mega issue, likely they will update before then anyway.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Newer plasmas have half-lives of around 60000hrs. Allowing for the obligatory hype, call it 30k hrs before the picture gets too bad, thats assuming deterioration is linear (i dont know the workings of phosphate gases or whatever it is they use - Jimboss or anyone else?) At 5hrs a day, your TV should last 16yrs and be at 75% brightness. Worth it? Who knows. To use an analogy, if your Holden was still worth 75% of its value in 10 yrs, would you complain?