Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear speaker selection

hendorockstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown 5l VS Calais
G'day just after some advice on what rear speakers anyone on here would suggest. My set-up so far consists of 2x Pioneer 12" boxed subs, 2x Pioneer mono-blocks, Alpine 6 1/2" type R splits and 1x Pioneer 4ch amp. None of these are fitted but they are going into my VS Calais. I'm not that car stereo savvy, so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Grab yourself some coaxial 6/6.5" speakers for the rears. If you set it all up right you will barely hear from the rear speakers anyway, so unless you want to spend a heap making your rear passengers happy, a basic set will do the job.
What model is the amp they are running off? I can make a few suggestions on speakers if you like

hendorockstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown 5l VS Calais
Yeah mate the amp is a Pioneer gm-6300f 4ch 600w, I'm hopefully going to be able to run the splits off it as well. Thanks

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon

hendorockstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown 5l VS Calais
Yeah I just checked out both the links and the vibes do sound alright, but what about getting type r rears to suit the fronts ? or you reckon just a waste of money?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Yeah I just checked out both the links and the vibes do sound alright, but what about getting type r rears to suit the fronts ? or you reckon just a waste of money?

IMO, alpines are a bit overpriced. Admittedly I have Alpine front and rear in my car but I would never pay anything near full price for them. You can get so much better for the money.
If you wanted to stick with alpines I wouldn't get anything more than type s's (which I have in the back of mine) but even they are around $120-140 new.

hendorockstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown 5l VS Calais
ok what's the main diffenrance between type s and type r?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Basically a better quality speaker, with higher power handling. But like Philthy said, you will barely hear them anyway. If your after more volume, then upgrade your fronts instead.

You only have a 4 channel amp, in this situation you would be better off bridging the amp to get the most power to your front speakers, rather than splitting it evenly between one good set close to you, and one average set far away from you.

hendorockstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown 5l VS Calais
Ok cool so basically any shitters will do for the rear? within reason of course, and focus on getting more out of the fronts

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
The focus is always to get the most from the front. In some cases you don't even need rears. With amped fronts, you'd have the fader set so far to the front to stop the rears from distorting, that the unless you were to actually sit in the back seat, you wouldnt hear them.

Just because you have more speakers, does not mean it will be any louder. Your only going to hear the loudest and closest set.