Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Spoiler Install Assist

policehoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE
I recently purchased a rear Spoiler for the VZ (appears to be a VZ SS replica) off E-bay. Now I have attached it to the rear boot and need assist in the wiring of the rear brake light on the spoiler.

Has anyone done this and can provide assistance, provide knowledge on how to correctly wire up the rear brake light.

I have attempted to do it, but in the process blew a fuse for the brake light.

Thanks in advance

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
how have u set it up

80shovelead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, VS Exec, VL Exec
with wiring the brake light up, its best to run the spoiler wiring off the eye level brake light in the back window, to gain acces go through the boot to get to it
then using a test light check for which wire lights up with the brake applied, which will be positive
then get the wiring from the spoiler and connect the red wire from that to the positive wire on your car, and connect the negative to the other wire thats there
before you put everything back togethor make sure to check it all works, if it does then put it all back togethor

as for blowing a brake light fuse, im not sure how you could have done that other than wiring something wrong

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
dont all cars have the spoiler plug already there, just like all car have the rear window brake light wiring, even if they have the wing.

check on the inside of the boot lid there should be a small 2 pin plug, on the drivers side.

i know my brorther berlina has it and it doesnt have a spoiler

policehoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE
could someone take a picture of what plug I am looking for in the boot area to install the brake light wires.

I have looked and located a pin on the right side behind the carpet. I put a meter on it and it shows 0.012 ohms.

I doubt this is sufficent power to run the brake light on the spoiler.

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
Maybe because ohms is a measure of resistance and not voltage, current or power...

policehoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE
Okay so I am not a auto electrician, 0.012 volts then.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think you are looking in the wrong spot. The wiring connector you need is up inside the bootlid. Look inside the openings just to the right of centre inside the bootlid. You will see the wiring for the boot release running from the lock towards the front right corner of the bootlid. Near it is a black connector clipped to the inner skin of the boot with two wires leading into it.

That is the spoiler light connector. You won't confuse it for any other connector as it is the only one sitting there doing nothing, and it is quite small. Your spoiler will need to be connected the right way round or the light won't work.

Good luck.