Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Sway Bar Link Question VX

SLIfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S2 Calais
Hey Everyone,

I have a question. My VX Equipe is making a clinking noise from the rear end. It was in a left passenger side accident that knocked in my shock absorber slightly at the top. I have replaced both rear shocks and found that both were completely dead. Anyway, my car no longer makes noise from them but i can still hear a clinking noise coming from the rear end. I did a bit of research and found that it could be a noisy diff causing this if it doesnt have the correct oil in it and has an open diff. I also thought it may be a CV joint starting to fail but im not sure . the rubber on the CV joints havent perished and the joints themselves seem to be ok so im not sure if this is the culprit. I was just wondering if a rear sway bar link could be causing this clinking noise considering I do know that front sway bar links make a similar sound when they are bad.

Any help would be great if anyone knows what could be up.

Thanks

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Nope the rear swap bar link won't make a clicking noise....

A C.V joint will, along with a buggered diff.....

SLIfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S2 Calais
Nope the rear swap bar link won't make a clicking noise....

A C.V joint will, along with a buggered diff.....
Thanks for replying,
Is there anything in particular a diff would do if it starts going (or cv) other than that. I have absolutely no other problems with the car other than the noise. A clinking noise (almost like a set of keys).

SLIfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S2 Calais
Hey Everyone,
Sorry for the confusion. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. Turns out I had 3 problems. i had a cross threaded spare tyre restraint from when I took the car in to get new tyres. It was making a loud clanging noise so i removed it and that particular noise went away.

the 2nd issue i had was my exhaust was rubbing against the body due to bad rear exhaust hangers.

Now I am left with a metallic squeaking noise when going over bumps at lower speeds mostly. It's not tied to accelerating or turning just rougher roads. I have been told my rear control arm bushings need to be replaced. Does this sound right like its the culprit for this noise?

Thanks