Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rear tyre wear on VT ,pulling a caravan

ciaranvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Exec.
that would probably help, i have gotten nearly 30000 out of my fronts..

vt com

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt acclaim
post some specs of your van and its weight, what tpe of towbar do you have fitted and what style of weight distrubution hitch are you currently using and how old is it. I hear that tyre wear is common but it sounds like your van is incorrectly set up which is reducing your tyre wear.

post some specs and I can help you

[email protected]

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
hi thevan weighs about 600kilos and hayman reece 1210 rating .just the standard type level rides , rear springs are standard and the van is light , with reasonable tow ball weight . i would only tow the van twice a year. ,most of the
time i am the only person in the car . have now changed the wheels to 16 inches , and had the front end alignment done at computerlign in NUNAWANDING in melbourne and in 6 months the front tyres were rooted too much toe in .
can anybody reccomend a good wheel alignment joint ,who know there stuff

[email protected]

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
hi folks i forgot to mention that i have a 65 litre gas tank in the boot , i guess that might have a bearing. And how do you reply to individual post thanks brian

[email protected]

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina
hi i have posted some specs , thanks for you help brian

J

jeffa

As has been said, get a camber kit. Make sure the suspension place knows what they are talking about.The guys that did mine not only knew what they are talking about, but gave a lifetime warranty. I have had the car back (usually for routine alignment checks) and they are happy to make minor tweaks to the front and rear alignment before the rear tyres start to scrub. I am now getting about the same mileage from the rears as the front (I haven't rotated them - I know I should but i am lazy).
The rear end on these was not good, too much toe and camber change with suspension travel, and there is a lot of flex in the rubber bushes, so the tyres squirm around, especially on acceleration. Hence the toe link on the later VX's etc. This was not a solution, as it just limitted how far out of alingment the rear wheels could get.
Most cars are not set right from the factory, AND the factory specs are very liberal! Get the kit fitted (about $400 - or it was ) and the shop will set it up to be ideal when the car is loaded as you normally drive it. You might need to take it back a few times as the parts settle, and as the tyres wear, so they can make fine adjustments. If the shop aren't willing to do this for you, go somewhere else. This problem is not unique. Every suspension shop will have experience in it.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
better still buy a Ford..... its Holdens stuff up... Holden says the maxium weight of rear passengers plus luggage in the boot does not excedd 120 klgs ....doesnt leave much for the towball weight, does it ...

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
that would probably help, i have gotten nearly 30000 out of my fronts..

im pretty sure if u have 17s u should get 40000kms out of them, 18's 30000kms, 19's 20000kms ect...ect...if u get less than half of wat ur supposed 2 then u have a problem with somthing or like it was suggested helps rotating lol

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I would be trying Heavy duty springs. My brother has a vz storm ute with all his tools & compressor in it.
A new set of springs made the ute level and reduced tyre wear.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
try adding some air bags for the rear and that way pump it up to lift the arse up and therefore with the correct 4pt camber kit and adjusted correctly it should make a massive improvement.....was gonna do to my old lowered vt coz towing jetski which altogether was round 400kg, plus my subs, subs box, full size spare etc....but i sold it to buy the hsv so didnt give it a shot