Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear vibration in park or gear and not moving

SkitSoHulk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 series 1 acclaim
Hey I have a vt v6 which I have looked after very well and hate having little problems when I want it too drive just as good as a ve, Sometimes if the cars going and I'm in gear not moving there is vibration coming from the rear? I have replaced trans and engine mounts and had a wheel balance today done and it still occurs, I'm going too see if its nothing silly like my licence plate since i have put new ones on or the boot garnish, but i have had the car for 3 years and its only been recent i have started too take notice of this new noise, car is at 244,000 kms currently, any help would be great into what is making it vibrate and when im driving it goes away, cheers.

SkitSoHulk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 series 1 acclaim
Okay it's nothing like my boot or anything lose like a exhaust, I can sit still in the car park and change it into gear or reverse and it vibrates good enough too feel it through the steering wheel, the engine is running smooth atm but needs a air temp sensor since it hasent had 1 and i think which has been running rich, i did put a cheap chip there but people say there useless so im waiting on a genuine 1, also the other night I took it for a drive and on the way home it started a dull knocking noise, i have it booked into the mechanics this monday but i took it for the balance today and it didnt make the noise, really confused and i have checked everything over, could it be cv joints or a back wheel bearing that made that knocking noise or lose steering components? any help would be good.

SkitSoHulk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 series 1 acclaim
So anyone know to this issue... Took it to ultratune.. Car been looked over and guy not sure... Car looks all good and vibration aint really a harmful issue.. But it comes and goes... If something was flogged out itd keep doing it, any thoughts please

D

devilly

I got offer as a trade a spare tailshaft for my vt,they asked me if i had the rubber tailshaft or the metal one,i found out i have the rubber one.these can split and cause problems,for the standing still problem with vibration,its werid it's like it needs a timing light put on it and a tune up.have you changed your spark plugs and leads ?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Vibrations come from things that are moving so if your stationary than it's very unlikely that the vibration is been caused by the drive line, the vibration may manifest/transfer through the drive line though.

Vibrations also seem to transfer through exhaust systems, what sort of condition are you exhaust system mounts? One I had in the missus old car was a similar vibration in the rear, it turned out to be the number plate that used to rattle against the boot lid at certain times. My solution was some rubber/foam type stuff stuck on the back of the license plate.

I think I mentioned this in another thread but it's most likely that your issue is engine/transmission related, possible the converter.

Next time the vibration occurs, keep your foot on the brake and increase the revs just a little and see what happens, then drop the transmission into neutral and see what that does.

The other issue with the V6 engines is the POS OEM balancer which can also cause some strange vibrations. IMHO there is just to much bloody rubber between the inner hub and the outer inertia ring.

My old V6 VN had some weird vibrations at different rpms (with and without the balance shaft fitted), finally I changed the balancer to a Powerbond race type balancer and most of those vibrations disappeared. Pop your bonnet and watch the balancer with the engine idling and see how much the outer ring is moving about. I think possibly the OEM balancer may be the cause of many vibrations. I think Powerbond do a replacement OEM type balancer which isn't that expensive. Try MACE, Steve has OEM and race type Powerbond balancers available for the ecotecs.

SkitSoHulk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 series 1 acclaim
Yes all new spark plugs leads and coils, car idles fine, can take it for a drive and it wont do it.. Then at any point it will start to vibrate.. If it was something flogged out... Wouldnt the vibration be all ways there... Yes mace are a very good company and have already had my eyes on the powerbonds, not sure with coverter or not... Seems it could be 50 50 but cant 100% pick it, talking to a auto trans guy aswell, hes stumped, but said the vibrations nothing to worry about, but is very noticble when it comes.. Have played around in the back of the car why hand brake on in drive.. Nothing silly like a rattling number plate.. Checked backshelf all pretty solid.. Im quite sure my engine is in tune cause plenty of times ill hold revs and see if it surges or skips, i do know i have a slight vacuum leak, but no way is that causing the problem.

SkitSoHulk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 series 1 acclaim
oh looked under the car at ultratune, all my exhaust mounts were good, was checking why he was checking my uni joints, everything seemed solid in place and not moving, its gotta be in the trans box, but i dont have any tools or the exp to be playing around with that, i guess when it gets worst ill have holdens take a look at my 250k service.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The balancer is definitely a cheaper option, for under $200 you can have a new balancer and fit it at home if your reasonably capable. If it's in the transmission it'll be costly no doubt as your going to incur charges to even just pull it out and inspect etc.

I'll be throwing on a new balancer in the near future, I just have a great dis-like for the OEM POS, I do have a minor vibration in the missus VX but I'm sure that has to do with the rubber coupling in the drive shaft which I'm sure I've killed recently :(

Last edited:

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

grab a flashlight and look at the balancer, they can crack around the centre, but by that stage there will be some noise

In neutral and park the tailshaft and diff is not moving so has to be in the engine / trans

regards
george

SkitSoHulk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt v6 series 1 acclaim
Thanks for replys, took it for a good 50km drive today and was doing vibration at the lights... got home in the driveway and it was normal.. LOL.. am leaning more towards the balancer, looks good when looking at the engine going but am aware the rubber can go in them and make the vibration worst... 163 bucks for a powerbond balancer which is easy for me, have changed the cas before so the job won't take 10 hours this time and i have the right kit to get it off lol, i am going to do some ks in september in the car, am crusing over to vic to catch up with a mate, would i be safe how it is now? also when i took it for a drive today it felt like it skipped once while waiting at the lights but idle didnt move or anything.. it was just a quick feel then it went, so no doubt the rubber could be flogging out on the balancer just unsure why it comes and goes.