Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rear wheel hub VY commodore

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Hi

anyone replaced a rear wheel hub on a vy commodore series II?

I got quoted 3.5 hours labour and was told it was a pain in the ass. Had my front left hub replaced for only $250 afew months back by the same guy so im a bit confused.

Long story short he told me he doesnt have the tools and said id have to go to Holden?
I'd rather punch myself in the face and throw sand in my eyes...

Any input would be great

Seb

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Is the rubbing sound from the hand brake shoe? Earlier VY's the pads can rub on the inside of the disc and there was a mod to add a spring to keep the pad in place. You can buy this kit, 2 springs and 2 brackets from Holden, you will either need to drill the existing hand brake shooe to fit the spring or buy a new set which would usually have the holes in them. The kit has instructions on how to drill your existing shoes if they do not have the hole in them already.

alpine-wolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Executive S2 Wagon
If you're talking about replacing the brake rear rotor/hub its piss easy, take your wheel off then remove the brake pads and housing (hang them up on the spring with a bit of wire so as to not stress the brake hose) and the rotor should come off, you may need to wiggle it or give it few taps with a rubber hammer on each side fro behind to help it off, also probably would help to loosen off your handbrake cable a bit - can get access to the adjuster inside by lifting the back of the plastic cover on the handbrake and sliding it forward off over the button then wiggle the rubber cover off and there is a 10mm locknut there to loosen or tighten cable with.

1hr at the most (per side)

If your talking about getting the bearings replaced, I haven't done them yet but I would imagine that it would need the use of hydraulic or similar press to get the bearings out and put the new ones back in, probably not that hard to do if you had the right tools. Have done them on my missus corolla took about 4hrs or so to do both.

Last edited: