Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

reasons for bad fuel ecconomy??

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
hey guys, my cars been getting worse at the fuel finally its hit rock bottom,
average of 19L /100km running BP ultimate 98RON,

so far ive changed the
Injectors and Fuel filter

they helped but not much, i know for a fact the thermostat is rooted and the L/100km goes up when im idling replacing it tommorrow ($14) and ill pick up a spare housing incase i blow it up,

i can also smell a faint smell of petrol vapours as if theres a leak in the inlet manifold, im gonna rip the injectors out and check that they're sealed properly and that might fix something aswel but yeah anyother sensors / misc things that i can use to make her use round 13-14L/100km becuase id be happy with that

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
The Oxygen sensor (top of the passenger side exhaust manifold) can die. And when it does it'll send your fuel figures through the roof.

Worth looking at anyway.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
geez dude i got a v8 and i get on average 14.5-15L/100km doing city driving ang thats also driving it hard

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
ok sorry forgot to mention

o2 sensor was done 3 months ago
plugs done last year
air filter = pod = cleaned last week
leads done december last year

found the reason for the petrol smell, one of the injector seal washers was missing, wasnt holding the seal in, replaced injector and it goes soo much better, idles better yet still runs hot (thermostat)

havnt had a chance to check petrol usage, reset it and i got it up around 25L/100km... lol lets say i was flat foot everywhere (using one of foams tunes of course)

blows no smoke, and dosnt smell funny

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL...depends on which of foamy's tunes you're running, but at least one of them was a complete fuel whore. Try running a stock memcal and see what you get. It might be a tad slower, but that will mean that you can compare the fuel figures to what everyone else is getting.

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lucky you with your own burner, I can't wait to get mine. Hopefully sometime after the stereo, suspension and rims/tyres have been sorted LOL.

Something else to think about would be compression...you noticed it running a bit rougher than normal? Could be that you've dropped a cylinder or one of them is considerably weaker than the others. That'll start to drink your fuel.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
check your fuel pressure. also, another thing could be a blocked fuel return line which would also show as higher fuel pressure. where does it idle at?