Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rebuild or drop different engine in??? what should i do

D

damo15

ok well my VS executives engine has started 2 get the kms real high now its currently on 280 000 odd km on the clock

the former owner of the car used to use it for highway driving qld to nsw and visa vesa. its been regularly serviced and still runs really well.

but.....

i was thinkin coz i been told by a few ppl wen u get 2 300 000kms u should get a rebuild which i guess id be happy 2 do but i was thinkin would it 2 be better to invest in a VS calais s/c engine?

would it drop straight in? if so how much would it cost 2 buy? i am able 2 fit it myself so i wouldnt hav 2 pay sumone 2 do it. also if i was 2 buy a new engine should i get it reconditioned?

or would it be better to get a rebuild get the genuine holden s/c? and do a couple of other mods to the engine while im at it???

cheers damo :flame:

Last edited by a moderator:

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
If it ain't broke - dun' fix it.
Does it need a rebuild ? How is the rest of the car ?
It might be more economical to replace the whole car, if not now then maybe in a year or 2. You dun' wanna be left with a $2000 engine in a $2100 car in a couple of years time. Would be an economic disaster if the extra horses killed your auto too, eh? There's another $2k down the drain. suspension, steering, A/C & all that wear out too.

Speakign of which, my VK EFI (the old wheels) still defies logic by running perfectly fine. It actually runs better & cleaner than it did a year ago with nothing more than an oil change or 2 and tuning (done by ear with a 9/16" spanner & a few trips around the block).

The new VR has cost me more in the 1st month than the VK did in 2-1/2 years. Mind you - it's a much nicer car & I've condensed the next 2 years worth of spending into this week (suspension, tyres etc)... and everything I did to the VR the VK needed years ago but never got. The ol' VK rattles and clunks a bit more. Wanna buy it ? ;)

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Dontsailbackwards is probably right, provided the car isnt burning to much oil etc i wouldnt worry bout it just yet. i personally wouldnt buy a S/C Calais engine. you'd be much better off getting a normal ecotec engine and adding a S/C yourself. Many of the brand name S/C add decent power and cost a fair bit, which could destroy your gearbox drivetrain etc etc etc. But there are some shitty S/C out there that'll cost you around $600-1000, they dont add to much power (bout 25-30%) so shouldnt destroy anything else, they'll give enough of a performance boost without costing an arm and a leg

D

damo15

car in perfect condition body has no damage no rust nuttin drive line in good condition still as is gear box and engine. so it would be better gettin a s/c and bolting it on. i wasnt planin on runnin much boost probs 5psi max. what work would i have 2 do to the engine for it 2 be able to handle it? or will it be fine? also if i was 2 do this would i need a new chip in the car?

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
You might wanna make some enquiries about insurance before you do this ... it could be more economical to trade it in on a Ferrari.

You'd definitely need a new chip (dynotuned) - as for engine work, the more you spend the longer it will last. Faster car needs better brakes too. More compression = more expensive fuel & more of it.

Having messed around & modded (& built) a few cars I've come to realise that buying the one you want is the cheapest & easiest way in the long run. There's V8 VR/VS's getting around for $6-7k that you can chip & cam & change diff gears in quite easily. They will last longer & get you in less trouble with the aw-thor-i-teees (insurance & the heat).

I'm not saying you should go this way, I'm saying you should think about it long & hard. Do a spreadsheet of projected costs. Have a good think about your end result. Do you wanna go fast or do you specifically want a blower ?

Doing the work yourself saves lots of $$ - until you stuff it up &/or forget sumthin. My tip - don't cut corners... do it right the first time or you'll be sorry & you'll be doing it again. Been there, done that.

This forum rocks, eh ?

:)

D

damo15

well i wanna get it supercharged money not a problem and cops dun bother me. coz im the end i want my car to get in street commodores and i wanna do anythin 2 get there