Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reco steering rack

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Just a quick one . My power steering rack has developed a bit of a leak . Therer is fluid coming out of the rubber boot on the drivers side . I was wondering if you can buy a kit to repair this or if you have to buy a new / reconditioned unit . Also what price would i be looking at ?
Cheers Dayvo

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You can buy the seals and fix it yourself if you know what your doing.Otherwise just get a reconditioned rack. Probably $250-300 for the rack.

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
pedders do exchange power steering racks(remanufactured, calais-varitronic) for $700 when i went there the other week. i got mine done which was sposed to be a recon one for $450, but since talking to people upwards of $500 is what youll spend if you want a proper one, most people flogg them cheap off badging them as 'reco unit' but only have a $20 seal kit in them

ralph_vt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt mate
i looked into a reco rack a little ago and saw one at holdan wreckers in seaford for just over a 100 but i think they have moved since but look into it, i still need to change mine from a year ago

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
wtf, $700 for a reco rack is crazy, i got one through holden service centre (so whoever they used down the road to supply an exchange rack) for $200, fitted it myself and its as good as new.
even the autopro shop down the road quoted me $230 for an exchange reco rack

DarkCrystal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim V6
Iv'e got the same prob... but here in NZ i can get a brandnew rack for NZ500.00.. but likely to leak again one day... or for NZ420.00 i can get a reco'd one where they polish the bore surface as the original was fairly rough resulting in the leaking and fit all new parts... sounz like the better option to me... iv'e got the series 1 VT, so there different to every other bloody commodore out there!!

vk3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
BT50............ while the vk is rebuilt
Replaced mine not to long back.

$470 for a reco from holden
$420 for a reco through Bursons with a 5 year warranty
$700 for a new one.

Went the reco from Bursons had it fitted by my mechanic.
It developed a sticky spot, took it back to the mechanic and had it replaced for nothing.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I got a price from Holden, $90.00 for a overhaul kit . Pedders said they could do a reco unit for $450. I might see if i can get a discount from Holden as we do a fair bit of work for them transport wise ,carting parts from melbourne to Canberra .
Also has anyone ever reconditioned their rack before ? Just wondering how hard it is .