Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommend a tuner on Bris northside

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
have had mine done at powertorque long time ago, and Ian (one of the techs)who worked on my car is great, has done all my further work since the car runs brilliant, throttle response, power and even economy, getting 250rwkw (only a figure, doesn't give you the real way it performs - that's in the driving) with hsv headers 200cpi cats and rest is stock, did fit j pipes later and asked did they need to touch up and was told no. heaps of people have gone there and are very pleased like me

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
My experience is that you should consider an agreement with one tuner who will not rest until he sorts it out on road and dyno, then continue the relationship with lifetime free tweak / upgrade from anywhere by reading a log file sent via email. You can do that with both HP Tuners or EFILive but no brainer, better with the latter using an AutoCal IMO.

Having said that, Rob at East Coast is a young bloke with a clean setup who knows LS stuff, talks straight, I imagine as the owner he would be very interested to hear about BigDaddy's piss poor experience with his team personally. $690 is a keen price for opening Pandora's box and re-tweaking a custom dyno tune, then again may be clear from the outset.

Similarly I'm sure Ian at PowerTorque (Walkinshaw Brendale) would welcome the opportunity to review / explain the quote, it is a bigger setup with a full-time chick out front among other things that you wouldn't mind paying for if you drove an HSV / Walkinshaw badge. The flip side of paying a decent price for a decent job is that you sometimes get decent things thrown in, or service goes beyond the pale, as in my case when they threw in the underbody aero plate that was missing.

My experience is that you will get a much better deal as a walk-in with both blokes, discussing / bargaining the job in person. Especially so if you have a nice bottle of Eden Valley Grenache strategically positioned on the parcel shelf with Ian's name on it (knows his wines too).

Another young bloke I can recommend with a clean setup is Tim who runs Custom EFI and Auto Electrical (forum sponsor) but he's down whoop whoop (Jimboomba). Tim and his partner have a new Mainline and HP Tuners, low overheads and knows LSes.
Any of the above can tweak an HPT tune and run it on rollers, it is worth noting none if these use EFILive so it will cost same as full tune if that's what you have.

VE8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS Thunder
have had mine done at powertorque long time ago, and Ian (one of the techs)who worked on my car is great, has done all my further work since the car runs brilliant, throttle response, power and even economy, getting 250rwkw (only a figure, doesn't give you the real way it performs - that's in the driving) with hsv headers 200cpi cats and rest is stock, did fit j pipes later and asked did they need to touch up and was told no. heaps of people have gone there and are very pleased like me

Ian was the guy i spoke too on the phone, he seemed ok to talk too but at one stage while i was telling him about my car he just started talking to someone else in the background for about 30sec as if completely uninterested in what i had to say, then when he remembered i was trying to tell him something he started telling me about broken o2 sensors & i could be up for more money!!! WTF. Your post has made me rethink going there but i will talk to some other tune shops before taking the plunge. Cheers mate.

VE8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS Thunder
Sounds like he didn`t know what he was talking about. Does put you off.

About the O2 sensors before I went up to get my VS real time tuned from The1 he did say he would have to check the car before he tuned it. The first thing he said was O2 sensors have to be working right which was ok I just put new ones in.

I'm not doubting his abilities but he didn't exactly inspire me, it just feels as if they are trying to make as much as they can out of you. Whichever way i go i'll let you know if the o2 sensors were replaced lol.

VE8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS Thunder
My experience is that you should consider an agreement with one tuner who will not rest until he sorts it out on road and dyno, then continue the relationship with lifetime free tweak / upgrade from anywhere by reading a log file sent via email. You can do that with both HP Tuners or EFILive but no brainer, better with the latter using an AutoCal IMO.

Having said that, Rob at East Coast is a young bloke with a clean setup who knows LS stuff, talks straight, I imagine as the owner he would be very interested to hear about BigDaddy's piss poor experience with his team personally. $690 is a keen price for opening Pandora's box and re-tweaking a custom dyno tune, then again may be clear from the outset.

Similarly I'm sure Ian at PowerTorque (Walkinshaw Brendale) would welcome the opportunity to review / explain the quote, it is a bigger setup with a full-time chick out front among other things that you wouldn't mind paying for if you drove an HSV / Walkinshaw badge. The flip side of paying a decent price for a decent job is that you sometimes get decent things thrown in, or service goes beyond the pale, as in my case when they threw in the underbody aero plate that was missing.

My experience is that you will get a much better deal as a walk-in with both blokes, discussing / bargaining the job in person. Especially so if you have a nice bottle of Eden Valley Grenache strategically positioned on the parcel shelf with Ian's name on it (knows his wines too).

Another young bloke I can recommend with a clean setup is Tim who runs Custom EFI and Auto Electrical (forum sponsor) but he's down whoop whoop (Jimboomba). Tim and his partner have a new Mainline and HP Tuners, low overheads and knows LSes.
Any of the above can tweak an HPT tune and run it on rollers, it is worth noting none if these use EFILive so it will cost same as full tune if that's what you have.
Hi there pirate, EFI live, HPT tune, AutoCal, uhhh, what the hell, I'm not familiar with any of those terms lol. I did walk in & talk to (Young)Rob & he seemed to be alright but couldn't help but think he just got out of uni. I'm gonna go & talk too Ian as well but i have to say i'm getting a little nervous. I'm hoping to get the car in for a tune on the 8th or 9th Sep so i hope i can make a confident choice shortly. Thanks for ur input mate.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I know you've already chosen, but for anyone else looking +1 to Powertorque at Brendale. My clubby was tuned by those guys, another guy at work has his worked maloo tuned by them, and all the cars that come in to the workshop with Powertorque tunes are typically the ones with the best road manners. I'll be sending the VF ute down to get tuned by them as well.

VE8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS Thunder
Haven't made up my mind yet but another good word for Powertorque, maybe I'll just bite the bullet & go with them. I'll drop in & see them on Monday & if all goes well I'll book it in for the following Monday.thanks for your advice Smashfist.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I went into a Tuner to ask questains the other day asked about mine Powertorque was the first he recommended.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
word of mouth is the best recommendations anyone can have (++1^^ mine also has great road manners Smashfist)

VE8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS Thunder
I went into a Tuner to ask questains the other day asked about mine Powertorque was the first he recommended.

I think I'll just go with Powertorque. They've easily got the most recommendations & it's a lot easier for me to get to. Will try & get some pictures of the before & after tune sheets up. Thanks for all your help guys. Stay tuned hahahahahaa.