Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recommend me a wax...

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
Hi all,

I am needing to buy some wax i would like dodo juice but haven't got the money for that :-( at the moment.

I need something max $50 also what things are best to put wax on? and for taking it off?

Cheers

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
maybe its for a bikini line?

haha nah mate theres a site sponser on here called car care products have a lookski on there website

Yeah a have got a fair bit of stuff from them. I got some UDS wax off them but i didnt look right and it has polish it in which i dont want.

Anyone recommend Meguiars gold class?

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
If you just want protection, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection should do you well. It'll last a few months before you have to apply it again. As it's a liquid wax/sealant you can just use a terry towel or microfibre to apply it, then buff off. I think its around $30 for a 325ml bottle.

If you want the best shine you'll want a Carnauba Wax, such as the Dodo Juice waxes or Autoglym HD Wax. You can apply those with a foam applicator or by hand, and buff off with a microfibre. Yeah they are more expensive (~$100) but the pot will last you longer then a bottle of liquid wax anyway.

To strip old wax off you can substitute your car shampoo with a strong detergent (e.g. dishwashing detergent) and/or claybar your car.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Maguire's Gold Class liquid wax. Apply every three months, it's the best stuff I've used, a bottle lasts for about 18 months.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Maguire's Gold Class liquid wax. Apply every three months, it's the best stuff I've used, a bottle lasts for about 18 months.

I don't mind the Gold Class, I was using that on my VX SS that I bought new, I changed over to the Meguiars Tech Wax, but found it much the same, I am thinking of trying the Gold Class again, I think the Gold Class might have a tiny tad of polish in it, as when I have been using the Tech Wax and came upon a mark that didn't come off with the Tech Wax, I noticed if I used the Gold Class it removed the crud I was tring to get rid off. Not sure what their new Tech Wax 2 is like.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Hey mate if want an easy wax solution TURTLE WAX CAR WASH AND WAX has carnuaba wax mixed into it if you want a nice clean ride in half an hour go for it it makes my car shine so much when I wash it I dont notice the difference from where I have waxed the car afterwards.
I am hooked.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Hey mate if want an easy wax solution TURTLE WAX CAR WASH AND WAX has carnuaba wax mixed into it if you want a nice clean ride in half an hour go for it it makes my car shine so much when I wash it I dont notice the difference from where I have waxed the car afterwards.
I am hooked.

Dear oh dear :doh: A 'wash and wax' car wash is not a substitute for an actual wax. The purpose of waxing a car is not so much to add 'shine'. That's more the purpose of polishing. Waxing is done to provide protection from the elements, fall out, bird poo etc... No wash and wax can provide that sort of protection no matter what the manufacturer claims.

There's no one best 'wax'. Each to their own. Meguiars Gold Class is a good product but I found it wasn't long lasting. I've also used Meguiars Carnauba Wax and found that it looked fantastic but after two washes there was nothing left of it.

If you want something long lasting then go for a 'sealant' rather than a wax. Sealants are man made whereas a wax comes from a plant.

Whatever you use, you can always use a spray wax straight after washing as a booster to add protection to your existing wax/sealant. At the moment I have Meguiars #26 Yellow wax which is actually part wax and part sealant. It comes in paste form and is good stuff but I thing I prefer the liquid form for ease of use.

You should consider something like this...

Car Care Products / Optimum / Exterior / Paint Sealant / Opti-Seal

I'm probably going to get me some of this over the xmas break. It's like a paint protection in a DIY bottle.