Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

red 202 balancer wobble

Reaction score
Members Ride
1972 Holden HQ UTE red 202 auto
My red 202s balancer wobbles and when I went to tighten the bolts 2 were loose and the other tight, the 2 that were loose have no bite what so ever so guessing there is no threads, if I need to get new bolts then which ones? But if I need a balancer what do I get, I have power steering also so there is two balancers? Do I need 2 or just 1 new one, they are tight as in they hold the timing mark its just that they are not held in.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
file_2637349.jpg

What you see here is a red 6 with balancer.
What you have is a pulley which bolts onto the balancer, and, from what you say, 2 of the bolts are stripped, or maybe the threads in the balancer are stripped.
Now, what is wobbling ?, the balancer, the bolt on pulley, or both.
If both, then replace the balancer with a new one along with new bolts for the bolt on pulley.
If only the bolt on pulley, then maybe, if you know what you are doing, you can drill and retap the threads in the balancer and fit new bolts for the pulley.
I would be fitting a new balancer and bolts.

Reaction score
Members Ride
file_2637349.jpg

What you see here is a red 6 with balancer.
What you have is a pulley which bolts onto the balancer, and, from what you say, 2 of the bolts are stripped, or maybe the threads in the balancer are stripped.
Now, what is wobbling ?, the balancer, the bolt on pulley, or both.
If both, then replace the balancer with a new one along with new bolts for the bolt on pulley.
If only the bolt on pulley, then maybe, if you know what you are doing, you can drill and retap the threads in the balancer and fit new bolts for the pulley.
I would be fitting a new balancer and bolts.
The pully was the one wobbling, I'm sure the balancer was okay

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Do the sums.
Buying a tap and tap handle, along with the correct size drill bit, will be cheaper than a new balancer, that is if you intend doing the job yourself.
I cannot remember if the radiator support may be in the way of drilling, so may need an angle drill attachment as well, or you may have to undo mounts and lift the engine.
Also means grill and radiator out for access.
You also need to inspect the pulley because, due to the somewhat weak construction, they can get out of shape.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do the sums.
Buying a tap and tap handle, along with the correct size drill bit, will be cheaper than a new balancer, that is if you intend doing the job yourself.
I cannot remember if the radiator support may be in the way of drilling, so may need an angle drill attachment as well, or you may have to undo mounts and lift the engine.
Also means grill and radiator out for access.
You also need to inspect the pulley because, due to the somewhat weak construction, they can get out of shape.
If got all the drill bits and taps you can think of, but I would need larger bolts? Wouldn't this throw off the balancer?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redo all 4 bolts.
Actually I thought there were 3.
Only three on mine haha, it turns out that I do indeed need new bolts and a new balancer, I'll ask around if there are any for cheap, or else I'll tap then all, what size bolt do you think is good? Supercheap have some don't they?

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
is it a hottie or will the cheap bursons balencer do? remember the red and blue 6 balencers are all most the same except the timing mark is in a diffent spot

Reaction score
Members Ride
is it a hottie or will the cheap bursons balencer do? remember the red and blue 6 balencers are all most the same except the timing mark is in a diffent spot
Heck would I know, its been rebuilt that's for sure, as for boring, porting, valves ect I don't know.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
you would know if it was a hottie it would rev to 6500 rpm or more and be cammie down low what revs are you pulling at 100k's? Why didn't it get a new balencer when it got rebuilt?unless your reving **** out of it a standard balencer will be fine

Last edited: