Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

red 253 crankshaft rotation

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
Wondering which way to crack the crankshaft pulley nut so i can get to the timing chain and camshaft? Standing at the front of the motor i was belting the crap out of the nut with a special breaker tool i took from work in a counter clockwise direction... keep whacking it this way? or whack it in the other direction for a left handed thread? thanks guys

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
anti clockwise like you would a normal bolt...

stick an obstruction like a metal bar into no 1 sparkplug hole and allow it rest on the piston, then gently and smoothly!! undo the bolt with the breaker bar... the piston will rest on the obstruction without doing any damage if you are gentle. I use a 2ft long bit of 1/2" steel pipe that I slip over the breaker bar, giving me about 2.5ft of leverage which will be plenty to undo it... I got the bit of pipe from bunnings...

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
the tool i have is a pretty forceful beast i wouldnt like to have anything near the pistons when using it. its a long bar with a short swivel piece on the bottom whack the long bar down and the swivel rotates a short sharp distance. but it still wont bubge... ill get a breaker bar and use some exhaust pipe on the end maybe to break it...

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
you need to be able to lock the crank from rotating for you to be able to get that bolt free, they are torqued up VERY VERY tight... ie my manual says 190Nm MINIMUM and they are loctited in aswell, sometimes a touch with the oxy will help... I've replaced one before on a 308 on a stand and lets say that I really had to lean on it, and I've done one in the car that was easier as the motor is held properly and I have a cam dialling in tool that screws into the spark plug hole that I also use for this purpose.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
anti clockwise like you would a normal bolt...

stick an obstruction like a metal bar into no 1 sparkplug hole and allow it rest on the piston, then gently and smoothly!! undo the bolt with the breaker bar... the piston will rest on the obstruction without doing any damage if you are gentle. I use a 2ft long bit of 1/2" steel pipe that I slip over the breaker bar, giving me about 2.5ft of leverage which will be plenty to undo it... I got the bit of pipe from bunnings...

Best not to ever do that, youll crack the piston. pull the radiator out and use a rattle gun. it'll save you a lot of screwing around.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i got it wedged a hammer through the flexplate and then breaker bar onthe nut with a long as piece of exhuast on the breaker bar... i'm 95ish kg i got it pretty easy... doin it back up later is the challenge!