Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Red '87 VL

tysonVL

L Plater..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sl
Do it, i only got a s/h one and im a bit sceptical as to how long that will last to. And when your on your p's man that second hand gearbox will break fairly quickly, ill almost gaurentee it ;) If it's only a small amount for the reco i'd do it. Problem i had it was 1700 to recondition a box cause mine was stuffed or it was only like 450 for a second hand with 6 months warrenty. So i could go through 3 gearboxes instead of that one lol

yeah, but I'm thinking that it would be good to get a working condition box for cheap now which will last a few months or a year or something, by which time I will have a job and some money saved up to buy a reco'd one...

Problem is knowing who to buy the s/h box from and knowing what condition it will ACTUALLY be in..

tysonVL

L Plater..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sl
Well today is a great day for me!

Was just talking to my Dad and he said that he'd front the $600 for the gearbox now and as soon as I get a job I have to pay him back half. I think I'll talk him into letting me pay him back the full amount as I feel I would owe it and it would be much better for me, as stupid as that may sound to you.

But anyway, RECONDITIONED GEARBOX, HERE I COME!

shaunington

Reaction score
Website
www.shaunpainephotography.com
Members Ride
VL SL (RB30E/Jatco 4SPD)

05 Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais RB25 turbo, VS Calais
yea i would too.. the whining sounds like the thrust bearing on your clutch. if you put the clutch in does it go away? if so thats it. as for jumping out of gear my guess is synchros. definate recond needed. goodluck and a great first VL

nf_vrII

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 Ford AU II Falcon
nice first car man! Looks great! I'd keep it red.

tysonVL

L Plater..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sl
Well! It's been a while since anything has happened, but finally I took the gearbox out yesterday.
Took a while and got a fair bit dirty, but it's out and cleaned now, ready to be reconditioned!

Will be inquiring tomorrow regarding quotes and things for it, then taking it in on Tuesday for the reco!
Hopefully, back in by the weekend!

tysonVL

L Plater..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sl
Well !
I haven't been on in a while but now I have a bit so say;

Took the gearbox out about a month ago, took it to the place to get it reconditioned, to then find out that pretty much, it was well and truly ####ed!
So after $1000, new synchro's, bearings, two or three new shafts and all the rest, It's all fixed.

So, put it back in on the weekend and it seemed all sweet after many, many hours stuffing around trying to get the spline to line up...

Took it for a drive, got 50m down my street and BANG!
The tail shaft fell off!

Turns out that the universal joint at the back of the tail shaft connecting it to the diff had shat itself.

Down to AutoOne, new universal joint and some more work, and she's off and running again!

Seems to be going well, took it for a drive for about an hour on the weekend and it ran really well;
Very happy!

tysonVL

L Plater..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sl
I nudged a wall the other day in a carpark :(

Nothing major, just fked the front bumper which is kind of annoying, but as you can see from the pictures, it was already stuffed.

Been getting my hours up a bit recently, hopefully get in lots of driving before the end of December as I go away to Europe for about 7 weeks and I can get my P's in Marchish, so I need to start getting the hours up alot!

Not much happening with the car at the moment as I'm trying to save money to pay for Schoolies :(

tysonVL

L Plater..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL sl
Well I haven't been on here in AGGESS!

Been reading about and decided I'd come back here and update you all;

About to run out of rego and I'm going away for the Christmas holidays to Europe!
Seeing as I have no money, no job and my parents are refusing to pay the rego; it seems i'm pretty ****ed!

Also; looking back at my future mods list, most of that is so unrealistic, especially seeing I don't have a job..

Revised To Do List:
- Get a job.