Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

red/blue 202's

4PLAYN

Reaction score
Between the blue and red engines can you swap parts over so you have an engine like this ....

red block, blue sump, blue head and manifolds with the correct carby.

But then will it still connect to the auto without changine the crank over?

Adam

NOT.BT1

Bogan pride
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VN exec project vh in the shed
Manifolds are different. Red manifolds will not fit blue motors. Red motor has single barrel stromberg carb Blue motor has two barrel Varajet carb. Red motor exhaust manifold has single outlet,earlier red manifolds exit on a different angle to the later ones. HX and later were different. Blue motor exhaust manifold has two outlet pipes. Engine mounts and bellhousing will bolt straight up.Blue motor electronic dizzy will fit Red motor. Blue motor uses bigger diameter clutch and flywheel. Dont know if starter motors are interchangeable. Spigot bush is different from auto to manual, so they will have to be swapped

will red motor extractors fit blue motor as i have a set of red 202 extractors i would to put on my vh blue 202
:bow: vh commodore

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I am pretty sure they won't. I am sure the blue motor has a 9 port head and the red has a 12 port head.

NOT.BT1

Bogan pride
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
thanks alot saves time tryin to fit lookin for blue motor ones

Last edited:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Yeah red motor extractors fit on blue motors. I chucked a set of extractors from a red 202 onto my blue 173.

On the red motors, it's just the intake ports which are different. The exhaust ports are basically the same, possibly smaller tho. But I put red motor extractors on my blue 173 and I could still notice a good improvement. The only problem I had was that the last pipe had to be levered over a fraction so the bolt would fit in, and a small bit needs to be grinded away on the face of the tubes (the bits which make contact with the head) so the intake fits over...only about 2 need to have a few mm's grinded away.

But it might be better finding a set of blue motor extractors, a lot less stuffing around haha. Also black motor extractors will fit, but the extractors from the EFI 202 don't fit.

NOT.BT1

Bogan pride
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
thanks im thinkin i might just get a set off a blue motor to be sure

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Between the blue and red engines can you swap parts over so you have an engine like this ....

red block, blue sump, blue head and manifolds with the correct carby.

But then will it still connect to the auto without changine the crank over?

Adam

Blue sump will fit red motor no prblems but you must change the oil pickup tube as well to suit the sump. Blue head can be fitted to Red motor if you drill extra water passage holes in the Red block and use a Blue motor head gasket. Blue motor flex plate and auto should bolt up OK

Last edited:

MADCC VC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL
I am pretty sure they won't. I am sure the blue motor has a 9 port head and the red has a 12 port head.

The 202 has the 12 port head, extractors/exhaust manifolds wont interchange, same with the intake manifolds. BUT, anything from a VK black motor will fit onto a blue as they are the same head/block. thats if your hunting towards injecting a blu motor too.

magnetvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 381pack
WOA.....talk about a thread dig. This is ova 6 years ago.