Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline brake upgrade questions

Xenogenesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Looking to upgrade the brakes on the VF redline.. they're good. real good.. but not fantastic. This'll be a high horsepower turbo build down the line so I'm looking to start with a good foundation.
Let me start with the preface that I know little about brakes on things with 4 wheels.

I was looking to do the standard rear brembo upgrade but it got me thinking... If I'm going to buy a set of calipers.. if I can repurpose the fronts to the rear, that'd allow me to go 6 pistons on the front for a smaller portion of the cost of the dam near 7k big brake kits out there so... Can it be done?

I look around at big brake kits like the Harrop Ultimate, and they run a 355mm rotor on the rear, same as my current fronts... so I guess my question is if the mounting points line up, bolt diameters and length.. that kind of thing or are they complete different designs like I'm accustomed to on all things two wheeled?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Unless you are participating in 'track work' I suggest that the standard brakes should be more than adequate for day to day driving.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Nah - The caliper mountings are diffent front to rear. Different size bolts too.
4 pot rears w 360mm T3 rotors, T3 up front too, upgrade the brakelines at the calipers, top grade fluid and a good set of pads e.g. EBC Redstuff. They'll perform well time and time again. I did this and couldn't be happier with them.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I've seen some pretty big Brembo kits on eBay for ~$4k, and if they're on eBay for ~$4k that means legitimate sources will also have them for about the same; dunno how great they are compared to the Harrop Ultimates, but they're a fair whack cheaper ... plus if you got red ones nobody would know you'd modded it without a double-take at the size of the discs. :)

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
I don't think the Brembo calipers are that bad you need to replace them. First thing I would do is replace all rubber break lines with breaded stainless steel lines this will improve your breaking and limiting break fad on track days. Then would look at pads and a rotator upgrade.
But that's just what I am doing.

Xenogenesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Thanks Cuda for answering the question, cheers.
Yeah the car will see plenty of circuit work when said and done, another toy to play with :)
Not that I intend to do much drag work but cheers Trofuis I hadn't considered that. Will be staying with the 19s if not 20s though. My time down the 1/4mi is spent piloting the turbo bike... the car is just for cruising and in future, track time.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I would personally, if I had my time over would go for a pad & disc upgrade, lines and fluid over the callipers. As you already have Brembo's front then I'd go the rear Brembos and the pads, lines fluid.

I went with Harrop's on my VX and when I chewed out the first set of pads and had standard pads in they were just as bad as standard, put the new pads and discs in and instant difference.

I have never been a fan of EBC pads rathering Bendix Ultimates until I got some QFM pads that are awesome with out as much dust!

If you need to have bigger callipers for a bit of bling why not second hand HSV GTS set?

franco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN,VP,VX II,VFII
I have been using Bendix Ultimates (police spec ,full pad area no chamfer) and DBA slotted and T2 rotors on my VX for years and find they work very well.
The dust we all know the answer to that and also the rotor wear.
If anybody has any feedback on the QFMs and T3 rotors or Ultimate's and T3 combination.
Im really after a combination that wont wear to rotor so much and still give the same bit as the ultimate's.
Also are the pads that suit the VF chamfered, that's why I went with the police spec on the vx as the whole backing plate is pad with no
chamfer.
Im looking to update the Redline VFII rotors and pads.

franco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN,VP,VX II,VFII
Any feedback would be great

I have been using Bendix Ultimates (police spec ,full pad area no chamfer) and DBA slotted and T2 rotors on my VX for years and find they work very well.
The dust we all know the answer to that and also the rotor wear.
If anybody has any feedback on the QFMs and T3 rotors or Ultimate's and T3 combination.
Im really after a combination that wont wear to rotor so much and still give the same bit as the ultimate's.
Also are the pads that suit the VF chamfered, that's why I went with the police spec on the vx as the whole backing plate is pad with no
chamfer.
Im looking to update the Redline VFII rotors and pads.