Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline - Emissions Light - Air Intake - HELP!

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Hi Guys

Just installed a Cold Air Intake on my brand new redline (done about 350ks), it's this one from ebay, Cold AIR Intake KIT VF SS SSV Calais HSV GEN F 6 0 6 2LTR LS2 LS3 Black | eBay

It was all fine, and sounds great, until tonight after driving with it for maybe 30-40k's the Emissions light has come on.

Now this was advertised as no-tune required etc.

Do I need to be concerned, or should I wait a few hundred k's for the car to re-calibrate to the intake?

It's running fine, using more fuel - up 1L/100k's since install, but have been giving it alot of stick, and does sound like it's pinging more than a normal 6ltr (my VE SS with a K&N panel pinged)

Help please!

Don't want to take it to Holden and have them complain unneccesarily.

Regards,

Chris

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
My Son has that same CAI installed on his VE SSV ute. He has never had an engine light come on with it.

I know a bloke (let's call him Bob) that installed an Orssom OTR CAI on his VF Redline and had the engine light come on intermittently. Bob found that MAF cleaner stopped the problem, and put it down to oil from the K&N filter fouling the MAF sensors. I doubt that is your problem but it could be. I suspect the ECU is struggling with all that cold air. I have also heard rightly or wrongly that the ECU in the VF's is slower to adapt than in the VE's. This was intentional on Holden's part apparently. In practice though Bob's Redline seemed to somewhat validate this theory, as it would throw the engine light for short periods, say 50-100k's travelled, then go out again for a thousand or more. It only came back on when his driving changed, e.g., more highway, less city, or vice versa, this continued for about 3 weeks. Bob has not had another engine light since his tune. If I were you I wouldn't just ignore it. Try MAF cleaner, if that doesn't work, either get a tune (you'll love it, Bob did) or put the standard plumbing back on. Lol

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Just ditch it and get a proper otr and tune from a reputable workshop. Short cuts = problems

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank your friend Bob for his response.

It turns out that Christov did not check if the vaccum hose was connected properly and it came off, Christov has bought a small clamp from Autobahn and now all is well.

Thank you for your replies.

Chris

VFSSVUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Commodore Ute
I got the cold air intake today and reading the instructions it says you have to cut the vacuum hose and add the extension tube on. did you do this or just go and buy some 10mm hose to replace the hole vacuum hose?

AMSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Ute in Fantail
Ant luck on resetting the engine light or did it turn off itself? I installed an ORSSON unit yesterday and the light came on. Car is still running well.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi guys,

@AMSSV8 - I read your post - spoke with HPF, C&A Autofashion and one Autotechnique all said same thing, you cannot use an OTR without a tune. It will run lean and f*** your donk.

@VFSSUTE - I did follow the instructions and use the hose attachment that it came with, however evidently it came off at some stage that day which resulted in air flowing in past the MAF playing funny buggers. I just bought a little clamp to hold in on the pipe and no problem since.

Next step either a 2.5 or 3" di fillipo catback system!

AMSSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Ute in Fantail
I'm running the MAF and it shouldn't need a tune. I checked the OBD readings and the MAF has compensated but the increase of fuel due to the additional airflow is outside its normal perrameters. The tune will come with the exhurst.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm running the MAF and it shouldn't need a tune. I checked the OBD readings and the MAF has compensated but the increase of fuel due to the additional airflow is outside its normal perrameters. The tune will come with the exhurst.

That's awesome, I should have just bought a bloody OTR then.... Maybe the workshops were only telling me that in the hopes I would shell out an extra gorilla for a tune!

I have however decided on the HP-F Walkinshaw Performance pack WP Power Package « Horsepower Factory

Looks like the goods to me.

VFSSVUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Commodore Ute
I just went and bought a length of hose to replace the whole vacum hose as i didnt want to cut it incase i had to put it back in for warrenty. Mines got a 3" pacemaker system extractors hiflow cats hiflow mufflers and runs awsome. Its going in for a tune thursday so,will be good to see what i gwt out of it