Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline Handbrake.

Panda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Redline
Hi All

Quick question the the electric handbrake in my Series 1 VF SS-V Redline.

Parked in front of a friends place this morning and put the handbrake on as usual, and it wouldn’t hold the car, which caused it to roll backwards, I was still sitting in it so no problem.

Just got home and noticed a little spanner under a parking symbol on the display between the tachometer and Speedo.

Can the handbrake be adjusted? What’s happening here?

Thanks.
C25164AA-C628-4E1C-95E9-BA116540B97E.jpeg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Handbrakes, be they manual or electronic, do need periodic adjustment if they use a cable to pull on a lever that actually operated on the brake shoe. That's because cables can streach a little over time as well as shoes actually wearing down.

Hopefully it's just a simple adjustment but don't discount that the drum shoe mechanism within the brake rotors are somewhat seized and may need a clean up and lubrication. Also don't discount that the shoes themselves may actually be worn out (from the stupid system not fully releasing/freeing up because of said seized internals).

So read the following thread and especially the linked thread within (in it's entirity) and you should be well on your way to fixing the issue.

PS: let us know how you get on with solving it...

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ @ Jeda, the thread I linked to in my post above also links to that thread where I list the procedure ;)

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
^ @ Jeda, the thread I linked to in my post above also links to that thread where I list the procedure ;)

Doh! I Should have read your full post and seen your link before I posted. Thanks Skylarking

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Doh! I Should have read your full post and seen your link before I posted. Thanks Skylarking
Not a problem. Sometimes repeating things reinforces the point and provides clarity :p