Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline (or HSV) Launch Control

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I know the theory, but practically does launch control give you better 0-100 time in our car than simply launching with Traction Control?
It is calibrated for stock tune ofc, so can you access this via HPT or EFILive?
Any videos / data logs 0-100 with and without this?
How does this compare to the auto?

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
traction controll stops slip, launch control limits it, it actually lets a certain amount of slip to take weight off the trans and drivetrain aswell as letting the engine rev rather than stop it.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
I know the theory, but practically does launch control give you better 0-100 time in our car than simply launching with Traction Control?

From my conversation with Holden when I bought my redline:

Question
What is launch control for the Redline?

Answer
It is only available in the manual version of the car, allows you to rev the car to a higher rev range (can't remember exactly what it was), and then simply dump the clutch and the launch control system will manage the slip to provide the fastest possible acceleration.

Don't have any videos, and my car is an auto BUT when I plant it from the lights in ESC 'competition mode' and gearbox in sports it accelerates very quickly with very little slip if completely dry. Purely timing this on my iPhone - I know not very accurate but, the above acheived 0-100 in 5.05 seconds.

When I do exactly the same with ESC in normal mode, and gearbox in drive it slips/steps sideways and takes 6.1 seconds to hit 100.

I have tried this multiple times and acheived very similar times - the former between 5 flat and 5.3 seconds, the latter between 5.9 and 6.3 seconds.

That's my two cents.

grantisaac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX11
Good Party Trick.

From my conversation with Holden when I bought my redline:

Question
What is launch control for the Redline?

Answer
It is only available in the manual version of the car, allows you to rev the car to a higher rev range (can't remember exactly what it was), and then simply dump the clutch and the launch control system will manage the slip to provide the fastest possible acceleration.

Don't have any videos, and my car is an auto BUT when I plant it from the lights in ESC 'competition mode' and gearbox in sports it accelerates very quickly with very little slip if completely dry. Purely timing this on my iPhone - I know not very accurate but, the above acheived 0-100 in 5.05 seconds.

When I do exactly the same with ESC in normal mode, and gearbox in drive it slips/steps sideways and takes 6.1 seconds to hit 100.

I have tried this multiple times and acheived very similar times - the former between 5 flat and 5.3 seconds, the latter between 5.9 and 6.3 seconds.

That's my two cents.

I have used it a few times. Set the car in comp mode and have 1st gear selected with steering wheel straight. Punch it flat and wait a few secs. Engine will go to around 4200rpm and dump the clutch. Wheels will still spin but it is controlled. The kids think it is fun :)

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
I am not game to try the launch control. The diff in my car bangs enough treated gently. Hate to think what might happen on launch control even if it does allow slip.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Where's the banging emanating from? Mine's an auto, but no bangs just the same.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

My old E3 Senator had Launch control. It was significantly quicker than just normal ESP. ESP would just bog the thing down till it stopped spinning and was overall quite slow. I'm not entirely sure how the launch worked but it held revs and slight wheel spin and was significantly faster. The fastest launch was with all systems turned off after a bit of practice. For random surfaces LC was fastest.

Launch control was only available on the manual E3's. I don't know about VF's.

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
also it voids certain parts of your warranty.... y'know... just fyi.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl

Really?! So these cars come with a button that if you do choose to press it will void parts of your warranty? How so?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

I fail to see how using the car exactly in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer using OEM equipment and otherwise un-modified could possibly void a warranty.