Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rego check Rip off????

sheapard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Aclaim
Took my vt in today for a couple of tyres and a rego inspection to Kmart auto 3 1/2 hours later(even though the car was booked in!) they failed the car due to it haveing a very small leak out of the power stearing rack, They also claim it needs Link pin kits and Radius rod bushes. The leak in the power steer is so small it has never needed fluid to be added and accasionaly leaves a spot on the garage floor. I was told buy them that Äny sort of oil leak anywhere is a instant fail, All sounds a bit sus to me. I watched them when the car went int, The car was only put on the hoist for the rego check no road test they only gave it a quick look underneath while they were changing the tyres. They have quoted $668+ Depending on how bad the rack is. Was charged for the rego check and the new tyres and lead out the door.
I will be taking the car to our local mechanic this week to see what he has to say. If they have failed the car do I have the option of going else where for another rego check and opinion?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
That sounds a bit rough. I have never had my link pins or radius radius bushes checked for rego but they are easy enough to replace yourself, although the radius rod bushes are quite expensive. Don't give Kmart the satisfaction of making more money from you. As for the steering rack, fluid leaks into the rubber boot and then out the end, remove the cable tie and empty the fluid from the boot, put on a new cable tie and give it a good clean with degreaser. That way it should be good for a while. I'm pretty sure you have to go back to the same place to have it checked but when they do pass it I would make it perfectly clear that I will never ever be back again.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
While it is technically true that any oil leak can mean instant fail on a rego check, most places are a little leniant on this rule. And yeah Ive never heard of the radius bushes or link pins being checked for rego ever before. The statement of 'depending how bad tha rack is' is sus as well. It should be a set cost to replace a steering rack, regardless of what the old one they are pulling out is like. But yes, once failed you have to have it passed at the same place. Clean the boot up as mentioned, get whatever other work you cant do yourself done elsewhere from kmart, take it back to pass rego and tell them they can kiss your business goodbye

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I like the fact that the lads on here know what they are talking about. Any oil leak is instant fail, Any suspension components worn beyond limits, (ie loose) fail. Also, NEVER go to K-Mart Auto as they have very vivid imaginations when it comes to quotes for work. To service head on an EF Falcon, $1900 plus any unforseen items. K-Mart Seven Hills Sydney. I now find that I can get a Ford motor reconditioned and refitted for that sort of money. There is the thought that if they get caught passing faults, they can lose their book/licence to do rego inspections

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
I like the fact that the lads on here know what they are talking about. Any oil leak is instant fail, Any suspension components worn beyond limits, (ie loose) fail. Also, NEVER go to K-Mart Auto as they have very vivid imaginations when it comes to quotes for work. To service head on an EF Falcon, $1900 plus any unforseen items. K-Mart Seven Hills Sydney. I now find that I can get a Ford motor reconditioned and refitted for that sort of money. There is the thought that if they get caught passing faults, they can lose their book/licence to do rego inspections

buy a new car for $1900

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
exchange rack for about $250 about 2hrs to fit not that hard helps if you got a mate to help

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
gungazza, I bought my VT Acclaim wagon for $900 plus about $400 in parts, tailgate, passenger rear door and a few minor bits so yeah, agreeing with you.

sheapard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Aclaim
they didnt had over any rta paperwork in regards to the fail at all only there invoice with the repairs needed listed on it. They didnt look at the rego papers either.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride

I did not say that those items mentioned were not instant fails, I merely said that I had never had link pins or radius rod bushes checked for a rego inspection and I suggested he degrease the steering rack boots.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
they didnt had over any rta paperwork in regards to the fail at all only there invoice with the repairs needed listed on it. They didnt look at the rego papers either.

Then you probably don't have to go back there. Try somewhere else and see what happens. Still give the rack a degrease.