Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rego cost?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Yes 3rd party included, well in WA it is. we have 3,6 and 12 months options too. still about $600 for 12months.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Doesn't your rego include compulsory 3rd party insurance in Aussie?
Yeah it does but it just makes everyone drive like need for speed or need to change a lane without indicating. Yeah my bro told me about your 1km over no tolerance law thingy in effect now.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think we should have something similar here unless you can prove you have full insurance or something. Too many idiots on our roads without any insurance.

I'd rather get hit by someone with insurance than without. I think driving rules are more like guidelines here in NZ. Indicators are definitely optional use only for sure....

stockyvrcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ UTE
here inb Vic we have no options, pay full amount in one hit cos the govt is too tightarse to change the system

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I don't think anyone's chimed in for Tasmania yet.

Its $330ish for 6 months (MAIB third party compulsory add-in of $148.00) and $600 for 12 months rego, again part of that cost is the compulsory MAIB (Motor Accident Insurance Board) third party insurance cover that automatically comes with rego here. But the "third party" insurance is not to cover repairs or damage in any way. Its actually medical insurance- if you come off your motorbike or a truck runs over your car, or you hit a tree, the compulsory "third party" MAIB covers medical stuff and public hospital things. Not related to car damage at all, so the third party name is a bit misleading.

Its not too bad I guess. The great thing is, we have no vehicle inspections unless you're putting registration on a car that has expired rego, or its being registered for the first time. After that, no further inspections for the life of the car. Just rock up, pay the rego, off you go again, come back in 6/12 months and pay again.

Speeding tickets are another matter. 3-5kmh over the limit, its near $200.00 and a few points on your license. I haven't had a speeding ticket or any sort of run-in with the traffic police since 2008. I got pulled over in the Caprice a month ago for innocently exceeding the limit by 3kmh. The cop wanted to fine me, wanted to look under the bonnet, etc. But on a technicality (no speeding tickets for 2 years) they must give you a free caution on the first offence, which he did, but he was not happy when I pointed it out. "Don't let me see you around here again.." and he sped off, a bit angry that I had him on a technicality. Its my right, and I wasn't going to let him lord it over me.

amg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
In VIC it's $340 for 12 months + TAC fee.

TAC fee costs $440 and supports a refugee camp of overservicing doctors and marketting men.

With $440 you could buy 4 brand new tyres or put that money into buying a vehicle with more safety features, but then you would be putting those TAC clowns out of a job.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
NSW

Think my rego 6 months I'd $220 and compulsory 3rd party green slip $286

Along those lines

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

NSW is $500 for green slip for older car and rego itself $350

it was combined up until late 80's , initially it went a bit cheaper, but by 3 or 4 years down the track it was heaps more than before

regards
george