Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rego Inspection Nightmare.

C

ccassie

OK Everyone need some help.

Just been for my Rego Inspection on my Ex-Taxi VR

The guy picked on just about everything in the car.

But the stuff I need some advise on is as follows :-

Rear Control Arm Bushes
Steering Boots
Manual Gas Shut-Off Valve (Doesnt Shut off)
Steering Wheel

Can I repair any of these myself and what kind of cost am I looking for.

With the Steering wheel anyone know if I can replace just the steering wheel and not the Air bag? Being an Ex-Taxi with over 750K's on the clock the top of the steering wheel is worn away and I have to replace it. Guess he looked under the cover I had on it lol.

Anyway suggest away please.

I love the fact that its on Gas. I am thinking of just ripping the Gas system out if its going to be too expensive to repair.

The boot has a truckload of rust in it and i am going to take off the rear bumper in the morning to see if its widespread or not.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
steering boots, you can buy and do yourself, not sure how hard, steering wheel, theres sometimes holes on the back, or drill some, and pour some superglue in there, dunno about others.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
750K on the clock in my opinion probably not worth it, pick up a new VR for around $3000-$4000 with between 180K-230K on the clock. probaly not worth fixing the taxi up compared to a betta 2nd hand car. just my 2 cents :)

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
far out, has the engine been rebuilt? is it in good order, im worrying about mine and its nearly 200k on the clock :s

C

ccassie

Would love to get a new car and transfer the gas setup to it. I have an EA Falcon but speaking with my local Gas Research Installer they just told me that transfer to the EA would not be a good idea as the differing parts needed would mean that I would come close to the cost of a new Setup.

As for another VR-VS thats a great idea but I just dont have the available funds to do it. Guess I need to fix it up myself one section at a time.

davidpenrose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series II 1997
does the car still have the taxi colours and stuff?

start your own taxi service and raise the money for a decent VR :D

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
fitzy2005 said:
far out, has the engine been rebuilt? is it in good order, im worrying about mine and its nearly 200k on the clock :s

200,000 is nothing huge for the V6. My VP did well over 400,000 by the time I sold it and was running fine (Sold it in 1997 ish). (A lot of that were trips from Melb-Bris). It got serviced every 30-40,000 km and the guy who did the RACV check on it for the new owner said it could easily do that again. It never had any work done on it beyond normal service items.

Reaper

C

ccassie

davidpenrose said:
does the car still have the taxi colours and stuff?

start your own taxi service and raise the money for a decent VR :D

:yeah: Loved that reply. Maybe I should. It still has the Purple Bonnet, anyone who lives in Sydney will probably know the Purple Bonnet Taxi's

I'd love to get a decent Car of any type... guess i will have to start my saving. Looking like costing $700 all up to get everything fixed.. depending on what is causing the Oil leaks. I think its worth it given the price of Petrol at the moment but I guess in the mean time I will be putting new tyres on my EA Falcon Wagon instead and copping the huge petrol prices with everyone else.

Anyway keep the advise coming... its great to hear what other people think.