Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Religion Thread

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I had a religious teacher once. Had it once a week in year 10. The guy was a complete turkey. As far as I remember, the guy wasn't even a believer, just a teacher doing a job and nothing more. He had a bad temper and came in class stinking of cigarettes. What a pig.

_Mukas_

DJ Titan...Hardstyle guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Statesman
he probly believed what he was saying coz he was saying it, but not the reasons behind it nor the history and just coz the man smokes dont make him a pig, for memory i cant say ive ever seen a pig smoke. that would be cool though

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
What I mean about the smoking part is, I smoke, but if I was going into a meeting with a group of people or whatever, I'd at least try and smell a bit better before seeing anyone or use some breath freshner.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
minux said:
Although i do not beleive in religion, i beleive it should be taught in schools once per week(more so secondary) to give children a chance to understand what it is and make their own decisions. This should cover all forms, from buddishm, to islam to catholicism and broadness of christianity. However in this day and age it can't happen because apparently it always offends someone...sad state of affairs.

minux i am a believer and i wholly agree with you. i don't think evolution or creation should be 'pushed' on any young impressionable mind but both should be taught as 'possabilities' so they can make up their own mind without intruding in their free will.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
zoist said:
I used to believe in billions of years and big bang. Why did I? Simple. I didn't know any different.
Interesting. What made you change your beliefs?

Somewhat unrelated but do you realise that my 2002 stato is way older than your VK? Because the iron atoms in mine were formed in the core of a number of supernovas billions of years ago from the first and second generation of stars, while the iron atoms in your VK popped into existence a mere 6000 years ago.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
zoist said:
One thing I hate about the education system is that they can freely teach evolution and billions of years this that and the other, but they refuse to teach an alternative to evolution called creation. So these kids grow up like most people thinking evolution, big bang this and that are completely fact without seeing anything different. Heck I'm sure a lot of Christian/Cathloc schools probably teach about evolution and that's another problem.

I used to believe in billions of years and big bang. Why did I? Simple. I didn't know any different.

you realise 99% of evolutionists dont beleive in the big bang theory right?

Scientists beleive in the big bang, evolutionists beleive we were created from something and evolved. SLight difference.

I was also taught RE in school, priests from various parishes would come around and talk, was interesting to see how some priests in nice terms called us satanists because some didnt beleive and liked to ask questions. Most were good and were happy to talk and explain.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
The only religious discussion that I actually enjoyed was with a few mates.Stoned off our heads laying on the school oval & staring up into the night sky.I think we came up with a few more credible answers that night but I cant remember.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Hi.

Anyone hear Clive Robertson on 2UE last night?

He was commenting on a move to remove complementary bibles from hospitals because they "offend" some people of other religions/beliefs.

However, he noted the likely response from those people proposing this change if he suggested that certain magazines on display in the newsagents offended him (and lots of Christians, Muslims, etc) and therefore should be removed.

Are you suggesting that only material that is not offensive to anyone should be generally available, or a "ban" should only apply if it relates to the Christian belief?

I don't see this as a big issue, but let us have consistency.[/quote]

Give it a little more thought please.
Read through the posted link and you should see why I consider it may be offensive to some.
My suggestion regarding removing the link is based on it being a biased piece of literature will little reference to this thread not a call to ban all things that anyone may find offensive.
Everything would be banned in that case.
If I stay at a Hotel I expect to see a bible, I don't have to look at it or read it so it bothers me in no way at all. I think, to be fair, other religious texts should also be available.
If you are a Christian, Hindu or a follower/believer of any other religion that is your choice to make. If you are comfortable and happy with your choice then that can only be a good thing.
It is not my place or duty to convince anybody to believe what I believe so I will voice my opinion but never tell another they are wrong for believing.
The different religions will never agree and each will try to inform others of their beliefs and claim them as the only true doctrine.
I accept Christians, of all denominations, attempting to guide me in the right direction as they are instructed by the bible to spread the word of God to non-believers. I politely inform them that I have my own beliefs and I am not interested. Sometimes they accept this sometimes they don't because they truly believe they are trying to save me. I have no problem with this as I understand their intentions but at times they can be aggressive if you do not accept what they say, which I don't like.

I could go on but it would serve no purpose and would be rather boring.
As I have said, in this thread and another, each to their own but just ensure you are happy, comfortable and are not hurting others.

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Wow this thread got very long very quickly.. but some points.

It has been scientifically PROVEN that life on earth pre-dates 6000 years.

Time-lines used in the Bible are very general, and are not meant to be taken literally. 40 is a commonly used number to describe "a large number".

As far as "The catholic bible is the most edited.." and what bible do you read from?

My father is catholic, my mother is prodestant, I was brought up neither. I foster my own beliefs based on.. and here's the punch-line people.. MY EXPERIENCES!

Most (given - not all) religious people were brought up with that faith either by parents, or by school.

Most (given - not all) evolutionists were brought up in non-religious families.

Most (given - not all) converters (to either side) witnessed something or felt something that made them shift their views entirely. Example, murderers in jail awaiting death. The only hope they have left is a bible or the Qu'ran or whatever other literature they pick up or are given.

My point here is, you believe what you believe because of your life experiences. However, I find it hard to grasp how concepts such as the data of life on earth can be so quickly rejected by 'believers' because it does not align with their 2000 (longer if old testament) year old book, stating what was of belief back then. If it had of said the Earth was flat in the old testament, would you still believe that?

Believing everything word for word that was written IMO is unhealthy. You are of the belief that if you don't believe BLINDLY in every little detail, that you are not fullfilling your religious duties and beliefs. This can be very dangerous I think.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Demons1964 said:
Interesting. What made you change your beliefs?

While talking to my cousin about Church and God, I guess I wanted to know what it was all about and I wanted to know what he knew. I dug deeper and deeper into the issue. I read many articles from CMI and found that there is more evidence of our origins coming from inside the Bible than any evolutionary scientist could ever assume. At times I did find it hard to believe that the earth is only 6000 years old because of all the stuff that is being pushed everywhere. In the end I found that I had a billion times more evidence of everything I wanted to know than from a scientist on television telling me that this bone is 40 million years old. I think if a bone was 40 million years old then would you be looking at a bone or a pile of dust?
It seems to be very easy for people to automatically knock creation but they don't even really know anything about it. The answers are in genesis.