Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Religion Thread

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
There are not different levels of evolution, to say so is a gross misunderstanding of the concept. You sight adaptation as being correct. Adaptation is exactly what evolution is in it's entirety. Two seperate populations of the same animal are segregated by an event such as rising sea levels, continential drift, or a volcanic erruption. Subsequently, each populations adapts to the differing environment they find themselves in, until such a point that you bring them back together, they can no longer breed. The are now considered seperate species.

So you are not aware of macroevolution and microevolution? Surely, with the knowledge you seem to have on the subject, you know the differences. Microevolution I can deal with, that's easy to accept. I can understand species changing over time to adapt to their environments. But at the end of it all, I cat is still a cat, dog still a dog, fish still a fish, plant still a plant, bacteria still bacteria. Their characteristics can change over time to adapt to the environment.. but the species is still the same. Different breeds result from separations of populations, but they are still in the same species.
Macroevolution is what I just can't accept. The theory that over time different animals will mutate so much so that it can create a different species, a completely animal. I won't for one second believe that we all originated from bacteria, which then turned into a fish, which then grew legs and lived on land, which then turned into a monkey, which then turned into human beings. It is a ridiculous claim, and it is a theory. It has not been proven. We have not observed it, and obviously we have not had enough time to test it yet.

Now just quickly.. going back to your point about populations seperating then not being able to breed when brought back together... do you have any examples? I'm genuinely asking this out of curiousity, I really want to know.
Recently there has been news of Grolar Bears being bred. Grolar Bears being the result of Polar Bears and Grizzly Bears mating. I think this is a good example of what you were talking, yet is destroys the theory, and has been amazing scientists recently. Polar Bears and Grizzly Bears were the result of one breed of bears being seperated, as you said into two popluations. Each population adapted to their environments and over time became two very distinct breeds, yet they are still both part of the Bear family, still the same species. It was, and has been believed for a very long time that the two breeds were unable to mate, although lately there have been reports of the two different breeds mating and having offspring... which are being dubbed "Grolar Bears". Now this is news that I have been hearing of lately and I found it very interesting, but I have not really looked too far into it. I'm about to get into bed and go to sleep, so I'm not going to look it up now, but I think it is something that you may also find very interesting.
If you have any other examples though, like I said, please show me... I would love to read up on them. Although of course that still wouldn't be proof of one species turning into a completely different one. Even if it was true that polar bears were unable to mate with grizzly bears, well they're both still bears. Their fur changed colour, one grew bigger and stronger, but they both still have the exact same attributes and belong to the same family.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Macroevolution is what I just can't accept. The theory that over time different animals will mutate so much so that it can create a different species, a completely animal. I won't for one second believe that we all originated from bacteria, which then turned into a fish, which then grew legs and lived on land, which then turned into a monkey, which then turned into human beings. It is a ridiculous claim, and it is a theory. It has not been proven. We have not observed it, and obviously we have not had enough time to test it yet.

As opposed to the completely sane idea of just appearing out of thin air as sentient beings, able to speak fluently and understanding how to reproduce immediately. Evolution will always have more proof backing it than creationism does.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
So you are not aware of macroevolution and microevolution? Surely, with the knowledge you seem to have on the subject, you know the differences. Microevolution I can deal with, that's easy to accept. I can understand species changing over time to adapt to their environments. But at the end of it all, I cat is still a cat, dog still a dog, fish still a fish, plant still a plant, bacteria still bacteria. Their characteristics can change over time to adapt to the environment.. but the species is still the same. Different breeds result from separations of populations, but they are still in the same species.

Now just quickly.. going back to your point about populations seperating then not being able to breed when brought back together... do you have any examples? I'm genuinely asking this out of curiousity, I really want to know.
Recently there has been news of Grolar Bears being bred. Grolar Bears being the result of Polar Bears and Grizzly Bears mating. I think this is a good example of what you were talking, yet is destroys the theory, and has been amazing scientists recently. Polar Bears and Grizzly Bears were the result of one breed of bears being seperated, as you said into two popluations. Each population adapted to their environments and over time became two very distinct breeds, yet they are still both part of the Bear family, still the same species. It was, and has been believed for a very long time that the two breeds were unable to mate, although lately there have been reports of the two different breeds mating and having offspring... which are being dubbed "Grolar Bears". Now this is news that I have been hearing of lately and I found it very interesting, but I have not really looked too far into it. I'm about to get into bed and go to sleep, so I'm not going to look it up now, but I think it is something that you may also find very interesting.
If you have any other examples though, like I said, please show me... I would love to read up on them. Although of course that still wouldn't be proof of one species turning into a completely different one. Even if it was true that polar bears were unable to mate with grizzly bears, well they're both still bears. Their fur changed colour, one grew bigger and stronger, but they both still have the exact same attributes and belong to the same family.
How do you explain all the species between modern man and apes?
dinosaurs-siamese-thai_4-1.jpg

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
'Round and 'round we go!

Macroevolution is what I just can't accept. The theory that over time different animals will mutate so much so that it can create a different species, a completely animal.

To the science of biology there is no difference. Macro/Micro evolution are terms used by creationists to attempt to argue against the evidence of evolution. As I stated in my previous post. Evolution is adaptation! Species are labels given to organisms by man.

A good analogy would be the spectum of visible light. White light (all life) contains all the colors (species). The number of colors is in fact infinite. It's one contiuous gradual change from red all the way through to violet. You can try to name all the colors, for example, Orange and Green, but inbetween those two colors you will find another color which we named Yellow. Now if you look between Yellow and Green you will find yet another color which has been named, Lime. You can then look between Lime and Green and find Lime Green, and so on and so on until you get tired of naming colors that look almost entirely the same as the last two.

It's the same when you're trying to classify life forms. There is infinite and gradual variation from one to the next. You can try to label the first million or so you find with names, but inevitably if you look back through the family tree of any of them you'll come across something that you want to call something else. The point is each stage in the gradual process of change exists wheter you call it something the same as the last one or something different. The point at which the name change is made is defined by humans. Just like the colors in my previous analogy.

So with this in mind, I ask you this, if there is a meaningful boundary between, what you call macro and micro evolution, how does a lifeform know that it shouldn't evolve anymore because it's just about to cross that boundary? It doesn't know, because in reality, there is no true boundary between species, only in your mind do such boundaries exist. I don't think any animal that has ever lived has had the ability to read the collective minds of human civilisation. Picture a proto-Giraffe saying to itself, nope can't have a baby with a longer neck, because JBDrifter would consider it to be too long a neck and a different species.

Ridicule aside, it doesn't know because the process of evolution is always the same, random genetic mutation, produces variety, selection pressures kill off the variations that are detrimental to the survival of a lifeform, leaving only lifeforms more suited to thier current environment. This is Evolution by Natural Selection.

I won't for one second believe that we all originated from bacteria, which then turned into a fish, which then grew legs and lived on land, which then turned into a monkey, which then turned into human beings. It is a ridiculous claim, and it is a theory. It has not been proven. We have not observed it, and obviously we have not had enough time to test it yet.

Whilst we are on the subject of Giraffes I would like to tell you a little something about a nerve you have in your body. It is called the Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve, in short it runs from your brain to your voicebox. But it does so by a very strage path, it dives down into your chest loops around your aortic arch near your heart and then back up to your voicebox.

The reason it does this is because the voicebox in mammals has evolved from one of the six sets of gills in fish, and the gills are tied into the circulatory system of a fish, helping to supply oxygen to the body of the fish in question. Therefor the voicebox still retains evidence of it's origins in it's association with the aorta and heart.

Now, let's look at a Giraffe, guess what! It has a Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve too and instead of travelling a few inches from the brain of the Giraffe to it's voicebox, it takes a massive detour of 40 feet in an adult Giraffe to loop around the aortic arch near the heart of the Giraffe and then back again to the voicebox.

If God had designed the Giraffe from the "clean slate of a new species" don't you think he would have given it a much shorter Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve one a few inches long instead of one 40 feet in length?

The reason that we, and Giraffe's have this similarity in our nervous system structure is because we both evolved from a common ancestor.

The evidence is fact! Stop denying the proof! Stop deluding yourself!

So Polar Bears and Grizzly bears can mate. This just means that their populations have never really been separated. And if you look it up you will find this to be true. There has been insufficient time and/or separation of the two. They still share enough of the same genetic code to produce viable offspring. Just like for example, black humans and white humans, have never truely been separated. They are variations of the same species that haven't varied enough to be unable to produce offspring.

Another example of this would be Horses and Donkies, they are a little further apart genetically than your bear example, but they can still mate. When they do mate their offspring are almost always sterile. They can not continue the line.

The next step is the inability to produce offspring at all.

I really am starting to get sick and tired of saying the same thing in different ways. Open your eyes. Go and read about molecular biology and the mountains of DNA data showing how the tree of life is structured. Visit museums, view fossils and living exhibts. Go to the Zoo. Go to your local fish store. I've provided some of these suggestions already and you have ignored them.

If you must, try and approach it from a slightly different angle. Divorce yourself from the whole idea that I am arguing against the existance of God.

Let yourself see the granduer of what human scientific endeavour has uncovered through centuries of maticulous study. Sit back and say to yourself, "****! This is better than we thought, God must be so much better than we give him credit for. The universe is so much larger, life so much more complex and miraculous". But NO!! I doubt you will.

Why is it that religous people don't do that? I'll tell you why, because their minds are closed! They have been led astray by the erraneous teachings of a corrupt and power hungry social structure that makes them "feel good" in some kind of warped reversion to childhood. And don't get me started on what religious organisations do to actual children. Lying to them and refusing to provide facts and evidence that lead to the real truth is nothing short of CHILD ABUSE.

In short your beliefs are your beliefs, don't try to push them onto others without adequate proof to back them up. It's simply bad form! This is central to the whole debate over religion, science provides the methodolgy to uncover real facts about our existance, religion provides a shelter from the cold harsh reality, and does so without a single shread of verifiable evidence.

In closing I ask this question:- "If there is a god and I am created in his image, then presumably he/she endowed me with eyes to see with, ears to hear with, hands to touch with, and a brain for rational thinking. After having gone to all this trouble, why would he ask me to forsake them?"

L8r

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I'm gunna combine 2 different arguments here and say I don't know why everyone is so worried about global warming. According to half the people in here we will just grow gills anyway and carry on like nothing ever happened

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
Not the best place....

I'm gunna combine 2 different arguments here and say I don't know why everyone is so worried about global warming. According to half the people in here we will just grow gills anyway and carry on like nothing ever happened

Whether Anthropomorphic Global Warming is fact is for another thread. But in answer to your question of the worry. If and when the sea level rises for example, there will be 100's of millions of people left homeless and starving to death. It is also supposed that a collapse of society and a drop in living standards/quality of life would follow, this is what is of most concern. Essentially people are worried about catastrophic change.

Evolution is a gradual process that is brought about through countless individual battles for survival.

If sea levels do rise dramatically, sure, over a long period of time you may find slow change in humans, initially, say selection for swimming ability, and moving on from there. It has happened before in the history of evolution, mammals have returned to the sea in the form of Dolphins and Whales.

Evolution doesn't change the fact that a very large percentage of the global population would most probably die during such catastrophic events. And you nor I, assuming we survived, would be able to drive our fast Commodores around the submerged streets of Melbourne :rofl2:

L8r

hulmy29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute Series 2
take a passage in the bible that has "God" in it and replace it with "Mankind".

for example
"God has the power to move mountains"
"Mankind has the power to move mountains"

theres many more just cant think of them.

also people who praise god for good things such as a promotion at work etc and then blame if for bad things.

for example
a guy blames god because his girlfriend broke up with him, he crashed his car and is poor

girlfriend broke up with you because u cheated on her or something
you crashed your car because u were drinking like a twat from being broke up with
and you are poor because u have to spend all that money fixing the car

all in all i dont personally believe because there is always logic

JBDrifter

Now in a Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais & VT Exec Wagon
To the science of biology there is no difference. Macro/Micro evolution are terms used by creationists to attempt to argue against the evidence of evolution. As I stated in my previous post. Evolution is adaptation! Species are labels given to organisms by man.....

Not going to quote the whole lot because there's so much info there.... all of which I found very interesting. But it still isn't enough to persuade me.
Microevolution and macroevolution are in fact scientific terms, in short basically meaning small changes (micro) and big changes (macro). But of course you knew that.
Moving on...

Another example of this would be Horses and Donkies, they are a little further apart genetically than your bear example, but they can still mate. When they do mate their offspring are almost always sterile. They can not continue the line.

The next step is the inability to produce offspring at all.

This is a fine example, yet for me it is still not conclusive. "The next step is the inability to produce offspring at all." How do we know this? We don't. We haven't gotten to that next step yet... assuming that evolution is correct and we will get to that next step one day. So it's just a guess. A theory. Or is this theory based on 100% conclusive evidence? For example, are there any examples of two different breeds of dogs that are no longer able to cross breed? This was the example I was asking you for in my previous post, which you avoided.

Why is it that religous people don't do that? I'll tell you why, because their minds are closed! They have been led astray by the erraneous teachings of a corrupt and power hungry social structure that makes them "feel good" in some kind of warped reversion to childhood. And don't get me started on what religious organisations do to actual children. Lying to them and refusing to provide facts and evidence that lead to the real truth is nothing short of CHILD ABUSE.

I could completely flip that on it's head, reword it to say "non-religious" instead of "religious" and it would hold just as much merit.

In short your beliefs are your beliefs, don't try to push them onto others without adequate proof to back them up. It's simply bad form!

I'm not pushing my beliefs onto anybody. This is a "religious thread" and I am simply talking about my views and beliefs on the subject. I have complete respect of the fact that not everybody has the same views and beliefs as I do, but when those views and beliefs are challenged I am naturally going to defend them.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Still waiting for this proof of god.......anybody?