Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remapping VN ecu

Itsva good idea

• Heck yea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F$@K yea

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you're bus is running rich then id say you have a component problem. My plugs have always been almost white. They were that way before the tune and still are and i have a similar engine to you.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S Pac...(S for sexy)
Early VN's had a slip fit balancer and can be removed without a puller.... ;)

Wait whaaaaaaaat
Oh yea
Wait... whaaa how does that work? I haven’t seen any way it could
I still needed to change the bracket

And what year s is an “early”? Cos mine is 1990

If you're bus is running rich then id say you have a component problem. My plugs have always been almost white. They were that way before the tune and still are and i have a similar engine to you.

What fuel?
I run 94 most of the time
How many km too a tank did you get?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Improvising will always be criticised
I didn’t have a puller and I barley had the money.
A three jaw puller is less than 20 bucks. A retuned Memcal is 150 bucks. Component's to fix your rich running engine would probably be under 100.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I run 95 i get about 11- 12 lph on the highway and i don't drive like grandma. I have a good engine that has all components in proper working order.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't know if you have an 02 sensor on your bus or not. But if you do then buy a genuine O2 sensor, before trying to mask problems by altering the tune.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How many LPH are you using? If your bus is running right id say you should get close to my economy. I have a ute with carry bars and never have the cover fitted so plenty of drag and still get decent mileage. If i drove at 90 and was easy on the pedal, and fitted the cover I reckon i could get 10 on the highway. I filled the tank yesterday, drove 210km and i am still sitting 1/2 way between full and 3/4.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S Pac...(S for sexy)
After I bought the sensor I had about $3 left...

I have an o2 sensor and I was getting 400-450 km a tank when I bought it but the the sensor died and I have replaced it with a Bosch one, but I get around 300 now
I run 94
And that was on 98
Used to get about 10 k per litre, now about 7 in the city and going light

Iv heard that the cars get better economy on different fuels, like some are better in 94 and others on 98
I have a tank of 98 so I’ll see how it goes

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My old VN did a best of 6.9/100km when driven like a nanna. Driving like I normally do it was around the 10.5/100 and all that was on 91 with my tune in it.

Stock VN with stock tune will not make more power with 98, if it does it indicates there are issues with the engine which the higher octane fuel is masking.

Running leaded fuel will kill the O2 sensor eventually and considering the age of the car I'm not surprised the O2 sensor was dead. If I'm not mistaken, VN's had a 1 wire O2 sensor, at the very least I'd fit a 2 wire and earth it back to the block rather than relying on the O2 sensor earthing via the exhaust system/manifold.

Early VN's are up to about 1990. Where is the thermostat housing on your motor? If it's at the back then it's an early series motor.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
After I bought the sensor I had about $3 left...

I have an o2 sensor and I was getting 400-450 km a tank when I bought it but the the sensor died and I have replaced it with a Bosch one, but I get around 300 now
I run 94
And that was on 98
Used to get about 10 k per litre, now about 7 in the city and going light

Iv heard that the cars get better economy on different fuels, like some are better in 94 and others on 98
I have a tank of 98 so I’ll see how it goes
So its guzzeling shitloads of fuel something is wrong with it.
What fuel does the book say to run it on ? My mate is one of those you must use 98 tossers to shut him up heaps of times ive put 91 in on the way where ever we are going and 98 on the way back and noticed no power difference and got no more economy then his come back is 98 is cleaner and the injectors will last longer which makes me laugh as he seams to change cars everytime the ashtray is full.
Its had new plugs and leads of course?
Fault codes?
Go through the ignition system check the fuel pressure a dud fuel pressure reg once took me 3 months to find . Its vn get yourself a copy of this book
https://www.automotobookshop.com.au...-engine-repair-service-workshop-manual-vol-3/

Last edited:

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
As mentioned earlier running a Vn too lean will burn out the valves and Piston tops,factory setting on the ECU is very close to the optimal fuel setting for that Motor/Cam/Compression.
My series 11 Vn has a light Brown exhaust colour,i run it on E10,i don't know if the Stainless exhaust has anything to do with it.
My 2012 VE SW always has a Black sooty exhaust no matter what fuel i use,91-95-98,and whether its short trips or long.