Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remember the Holden Calibra?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Initially touted as a ( 4cyl FWD ) Monaro replacement. Attractive enough coupe back in the day.
Not even Carsales remember them at present.
So like a ZB for the Commodore then.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
So like a ZB for the Commodore then.
Good comparison, Calibra (for its time ) was better looking than ZB today..
I thought it was OK, but if I was going to buy a similar coupe, it would have been a Celica.
And, before you ask ..... no, I was not a hairdresser in a previous life.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Good comparison, Calibra (for its time ) was better looking than ZB today..
I thought it was OK, but if I was going to buy a similar coupe, it would have been a Celica.
And, before you ask ..... no, I was not a hairdresser in a previous life.

people called Celica's hairdressers cars, but i only ever had eyes for the GT-FOUR, no hairdressers need apply.

1625013378270.png

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That model of Celica was a well thought out and designed car
Great cars with lots of smarts within but the center diff was too tall and usually the first thing owners modified...
Hard to find unmollested :rolleyes:

I've not ben so lucky :p

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I worked on a GT-4 Celica years ago, the thing was not well maintained and needed lots of work underneath.
They don't look so good in that condition.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I worked on a GT-4 Celica years ago, the thing was not well maintained and needed lots of work underneath.
They don't look so good in that condition.

What car does when they need a heap of work done to it because it has been neglected?

SSFUNKEL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX 202, VR BT1, VZ SS 6.0 GEN IV
Not sure why ppl hate on em so much, they wind out to like 9000 Rpm They have a Great shape I belted a fair few VR/VS VT/VY's in it. Perhaps. Being part German I can understand a bit more complex electrics and Suspension. (REEEE) The Headlight rear covers turn into Wheel Chocks. The Jack handle can be used to wind the sunroof if the motor fails. The Headlights have little motors so If loading weight in the rear you can adjust the lights downward so as to not blind ppl. A car ahead of it's time. For early 90's Many of the features were way ahead of their time. ABS Central locking. First Aid kit in the boot along with the Hazard Triangle like Mercedes (Which you'll need coz as we all know they all broke over here). I mean todays cars don't even come with a First aid kit! Lol. Now it's just bang Xenon6000 Globes in ya commy n go off n blind everyone coming your way. Auto leveling headlights didn't come out until around a decade later. A solenoid lock for the fuel cap cover. The designers were Forward thinking. But It certainly wasn't made for Australian Conditions. And the Weight what's with that? It's Like made from Freaking recycled Panzer steel left over from ww2 or something. I have a Love Hate relationship with Myself as i Do my Calibra! I'd love to have an AWD Version. I had a Mate with a Vt who thought it was a little rice burner then I left him for dead in a puff of black smoke. While he had his foot flat I never even got into 5th. He then had much more respect and laughed with a weird look in his eye like I'd belittled his Commy with some Jap car, then I told him It's German. n He said Ah well that's alright then. Haha. Probably heaps more stuff it has that I've missed. But yeah, gotta Give it a fair go. The later Models mainly got worse with the Greeny movements and Eco Tech stuff It really doomed them.

Attachments

• IMG_2079.JPG
    IMG_2079.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2078.JPG
    IMG_2078.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 43