Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote Key Buttons

VTW@G0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT WAGON 3.8L N/A
G'day all.
Ever had your remote key button perish or split?
I have a VT Wagon 99 with 2 remote keys, one got stuffed and didnt want to spend the $89 (from ebay) to replace it.
Wanna DIY fix it? Pretty budget but works well.

1. Remove 2 phillips skrews, slide metal key out.
2. It then gets a bit tricky but basically it is held together with glue, so just be carefull and prise it open.
3. Cut the button thats broken with a stanly knife so its nice and neat, trying to leave as much rubber as you can.
4. Get a small piece of plastic (just to cover to button size) and then tape it on on the outside of the remote.
5. Get some silicon (i used grey, but whatever will do) and fill the button from the inside, pack it tightly in there.
6. Get a small piece of plactic (half the size of a ticktak) and insert into the still wet silicon (this will be the button on the key to push the button on the circuit board) so make sure it will line up
7. Allow to dry for 24hours then remove sticky tape and plastic and carve the silicon into the desired shape if messy.
8. Put the key back together using superglue (thats what i used but you may find something better).
9. And hey presto, brand new key (worse thing is that you cant paint silicon, so you may be able to find a black silicon, or just change the colour of your key to silver....)

Hope this helps you if your key is stuffed and like me dont want to buy a new one... :yeah:

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec 3.8L V6
mate any chance of a pictuer of the finished product.
cheers
Al

VTW@G0n

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT WAGON 3.8L N/A
Gday
Yeah, picture no problems, just gotta get my camera back from in-laws.
Also, as an edit to the above, the superglue didnt work as good as i hoped, so i decided to silicon it together, worked well and has no gaps.
Check in a few days and i'll have the pics up.

Cheers :D

scottr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm having trouble getting my VS key apart, how did you get it apart?

heh, nevermind, used brute force & ignorance and it came apart :)

Last edited:

chops

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I've seen a few remote heads for sale on eBay. My buttons are a bit knackered on my key, and the loop at the top (to attach to key chain) is broken. Would it be an easy job to take apart a new key and swap over the internals from my original? Rather than having to get a new one programmed etc?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
its a waste of time to swap things, thats why you buy a new key isnt it?

Rob

chops

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Not a waste of time if you can save $60 by a few minutes work!

RSO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
For a VR i used just the right sized grommet to replace the split original button.
better that the 90 odd dollars holden wanted for a complete keyset-up.
grommet 20cents versus 90 - 100 bucks...... 20cents thanks.

adelaide_john

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Acclaim
You may also want to consider this comapny who sells the actal button made out of silicone. Buttons sent quickly and have had no dramas

We did both sets of keys and my sister fixed her keys too.

Realtivley cheap compared to new key from Holden or locksmith

Polmex