Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Remove / Install v-belts (304 / 5 Litre)

Black_Bug

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Hey,

I have used this forum so much lately and its helped me out a lot so thought i would try and contribute and pay it forward.

I recently got a 5L ute and had no idea how to change the belts & couldn’t find a DIY on here so though I would do a quick write up on how I removed and installed v-belts on my injected 5 litre / 304. My ute didn’t have an a/c belt to take off so I am guessing those steps but they’re basically reverse of how I put mine on. After putting my a/c belt on I have a whole new appreciation of the auto-tensioner our LS1 has.

This was my first time changing belts on something predating auto tensioners but think after you have done it a few times it would become second-nature.

Tools Required
• Flathead screwdriver
• 10mm socket
• 12mm socket
• 14mm socket
• 19mm socket or ring spanner
• 14mm ring spanner
• Jack & Jack stands (not essential though)
• Some sort of levering object (I used a mx tyre lever & a long flathead screwdriver)
• Power steering, alternator, & air conditioning v-belt

Removal of v-belts
1. Remove the OTR intake (if you have one), remove the airbox lid & filter, and remove the intake piping from the throttle body – flathead screwdriver
2. Undo the bolt holding the bottom of the airbox in and remove it – 10mm
3. Loosen the three bolts on the power steering bracket (two at the top and one hidden by the pulley & bracket to the passenger side of the pulley) two will slide and one is a pivot bolt – 14mm
4. Remove the power steering belt feeding it back around the fan & out of the engine bay
5. Loosen the two bolts on the alternator bracket – 14mm & 12mm
6. Remove the alternator belt back around the fan and out of the engine bay
7. Jump under the car from the front and loosen the tensioner pulley for the a/c belt – 12mm
8. Once the a/c tensioner pulley has been slacked off remove the pulley – 19mm
9. I never had a belt on mine but I imagine it’s Just as much of a pain to remove so I’m guessing if removing the tensioner didn’t slack it off enough you will have to wrench/lever it off with a flathead screwdriver or similar

Installation of v-belts
1. Jack up the front end and suspend with jack-stands (there are DIY’s on this)
2. Grab the a/c belt because this will be the hardest & jump under the car
3. Wrap it around the 1st slot closest to the engine on the crank & feed it on to the compressor starting from the top
4. If you’re lucky you might get it a quarter on before you think they gave you the wrong belt so feed it onto the compressor as far as you can
5. Now while holding the belt on the compressor turn the pulley whilst forcing the belt on when you turn, don’t feel bad if it slips off just start feeding it again
6. Keep trying to force it on and turning the pulley to feed it, you’ll get to a point where you won’t be able to turn the pulley any more. By this stage mine was almost on there was the tiniest bit that wouldn’t pop over the pulley
7. Pull down hard on the belt and try and push it on with the other hand over the lip of the pulley
8. Chances are it will twist on and you will have part of the belt upside down, just pull down on the belt and untwist with the other hand it should untwist easily enough
9. Grab the tensioner pulley and bolt it back on, the belt will have enough slack to pull down and feed on to that pulley
10. Adjust & tighten the adjuster bolt and the bolt that holds the pulley on – 12mm and 19mm
11. Jump out from under the car and grab the alternator belt and feed it behind the fan and onto the 2nd slot on the crank and up around the 1st slot (closest to the engine) on the dual pulley and around the alternator
12. Grab something long enough to lever the alternator (I used an mx tyre lever) and slide in gap between alternator and bracket on the top/drivers side and lever the alternator towards the passenger side by pushing towards the driver’s side
13. Tighten both bolts – 14mm pivot bolt and 12mm sliding bolt
14. Grab the power steering belt and feed it though the fan and onto the last spot on the crank and dual pulley then around the power steering pulley
15. Grab something long enough that you can lever the PS pulley (I used a very long flathead)
16. Slide the levering object between the pulley and bracket (resting on the flat part behind the pulley) and lever it against the lip of the body in the engine bay (the object will have to be a decent length to reach it)
17. Whilst applying pressure to tighten the belt, tighten the top two bolts of the bracket – 14mm
18. That should be enough to hold the belt from loosening, now tighten the last bolt hidden under/to the side of the bracket
19. Reinstall the intake piping, airbox (screw in with 10mm), filter, and OTR intake & your done