Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing aftermarket headunit help VT!

GIMPY1

Bass Slappin Mag Designer
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN GENIII
Hey guys,

just purchased a new DVD player unit. My current headunit is a kenwood double-DIN number from 9-10 years back!

millions of tut's about removing the stock head from a VT but any idea how to remove an after market one? as far as im aware this kenwood unit dosnt use any tools to release it from its case etc from all the researching i have done so far.

Also, i plan on connecting my rear view camera, i know you need to trigger the head unit when it goes in reverse, but where in the VT's is it best to tap into this.

And correct me if im wrong, u need to connect a wire to the handbrake so u can only watch DVDs while the handbrake is on.... Can you just ground this as i plan on having music dvds and vids mostly playing while i drive.

Any help would be awesome!! :)

gotham.r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 S1
Some head unit sleeves are riveted to the inside of the dash bit, not sure if that's applicable to yours though. Most units have keys which push open clips that hold your HU in, not sure without looking at it though..

For your camera you need to tap onto your reverse wire which is located in the boot behind your light, use a test light and see which wire lights up when you put the car in reverse, then take it out of reverse and if the light goes off then you have your correct wire. Make sure you only have the car on ignition and not running though.

For the handbrake wire your legally meant to attach it to the handbrake so your video only works when your car is parked but otherwise you simply ground it to a ground wire and it'll work easy. I hold no responsibility in your safety if you choose to watch it whilst driving though.

Hope this has helped :)

GIMPY1

Bass Slappin Mag Designer
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH STATESMAN GENIII
thanks for your reply mate! after finding no info at all! i gave up and its now currently at Strathfield being installed ;P

gotham.r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 3.8 S1
no problem, always alot easier to hand over the problem to someone else haha
good luck with it