Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing bellmouth

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I took mine out of my VP, and it did nothing except cost me 20 bucks to replace all the gaskets i snapped in the process cause they were so old:bang:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I daresay it does jack squat. I removed mine on my old VP... not worth the time it took me. You're better off making yourself a cold air intake.

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold for scrap :(
my link for the guide died awhile back I uploaded the scan again
here ya go
bellmonth3.jpg

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
While were at it again, and its late and Im bored, I thought Id throw up my views.

How is it not a restriction? The bellmouth outlet is obviously smaller than the manifold opening. But in saying that, it causes the air to speed up. But then again! People say without it, it can lean out cylinders 5 & 6. But the bellmouth roughly ends at cylinders 1 & 2 leaning them out instead! I see no win either way.

I had a go at modifying the bellmouth by cutting it diagonally to both increase the outlet size and for it to end roughly half way along the manifold. But Im sure I made it worse so I took it out completely and I think I will leave it out. I cant say 100% if it makes a difference, but knowing its out helps me think that it has. So in the end Im happy. :)

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'd rather it out that in at wide open throttle, like you say it's going to run leaner on the rear two cylinders. In the end it's only there to feed the front two with air at idle to try and smooth the idle out

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
I tried it in my VP V6. Did NOTHING except make it idle a bit funny. Didn't like it so i put it back in. I think it felt nicer to drive with it IN.

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
When this subject pops up i like to give my 2cents worth. My VR defiantly goes BETTER with the bellmouth out than in ( well at least it feels like it) .....did back to back runs with it out, then in, then out again to come to my conclusion. The idle is a tiny bit rougher but that doesnt bother me.

I am happy how my car runs with it out.