Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing complete vy auto shifter

Grumpyvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSV8 1957 Chev
Has any one done this??
Took centre consol out and it looks as if it is bolted from underneath the car?
I was going to jack it up and have a look but I had a new front screen installed today and didnt want to risk stuffing up the seal.
The reason im removing this is the top of the shifter has been snapped off!

Cheers

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
As in the plastic button/handle, or the entire metal shifter shaft going into the gearbox? If the latter, it's probably a gearbox out job... If just some part of the plastic handle, follow this (but you'd have to do this anyway to get the gearbox out):

First make sure your handbrake is on and holding since you will have to move the shifter out of Park at some stage.

Remove the center console trim piece:
-remove rubber tray under the radio, it just pulls out
-remove the philips screw on the right side of the tray area
-remove center console trim piece, 6 clips as shown below, unplug window switches from the bottom, put it aside. The first time you take this out requires a fair bit of force and feels like you are going to break something.
I disengage the two clips at the rear by prying it up with a flat head screw driver wrapped in tape, then i work my way to the front prying with my fingers and it gets the rest of the clips.
5375253306_913355247a_m.jpg

Now by this stage it looks like you could unclip the shifter surround from the shifter assembly, but you can't unless you're an octopus with a vast array of jewelers screw drivers, and the shifter assembly won't come out because it is trapped by the frame of the center console. It's easier to just remove the entire lower console to get it out.

Remove the console:
-unclip the drivers side lower center console trim - one clip - pull down on it near the handbrake. You can either leave it like that, or remove it entirely by opening the fusebox cover and removing an additional two philips screws. This makes reinstallation a little easier.
-remove the philips screw from the rear of passenger side lower center console trim - slide the passenger seat all the way back, remove philips screw (slightly obscured by seat). Can remove entirely by dropping the glovebox and removing two additional philips screws.
-pull out rubber liner inside the center console storage bin (takes some force), remove the two nuts underneath.
-remove 4 philips screws securing shifter surround to center console
-remove philips screws securing lower center to upper center console.
-unplug cigarette lighter socket power cable (white plug near window switches area)
-lift out the entire lower center console (pull up from rear and lift out).

Hopefully you should now have this:
5375283882_287d2b475f_b.jpg

Then you can remove the shifter assembly:
-remove hex screw from back of gear knob
-unplug electrical connector
-lift out surround and shifter assembly

Do whatever you have to do with the shifter handle, reinstall everything in the reverse order.

Grumpyvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYSV8 1957 Chev
VY shifter removal

Thanks TMM, I have got that far but I need to know how the complete shifter assembly comes out as the shifter is actually broken

Cheers.