Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing front brake rotors

AussieHomer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S1
I'm trying to replace the front rotors on my VR, and I'm finding the old ones a real bugger to take off. I've tried bashing them off with a hammer & spraying a bit of WD40 around the studs, but to no avail. Is there any other way of getting them off? I assume that, normally, all you have to do is slide them off the hub so that there's nothing to be undone after you take the caliper assembly off...

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
They are probably rusted or just stuck, more WD40 and keep bashing.

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
flog em with a rubber mallet.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
I'm trying to replace the front rotors on my VR, and I'm finding the old ones a real bugger to take off. I've tried bashing them off with a hammer & spraying a bit of WD40 around the studs, but to no avail. Is there any other way of getting them off? I assume that, normally, all you have to do is slide them off the hub so that there's nothing to be undone after you take the caliper assembly off...

Yep once the caliper assembly is off, they should just slide off, but keep spraying WD40 around the hub and just keep belting the daylights out of the rotor with a mallet... and eventually you should get them off.

Before you put the new rotors on, make sure that you clean up around the hub area, to remove any rust or other crap that might be sitting on there.

AussieHomer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S1
Just got 'em off...a mate came around with a small sledgie and, with a few taps, they came off...He told me to try smearing a LITTLE bit of grease on the new rotor where it contacts the hub, in order to prevent rusting.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Just got 'em off...a mate came around with a small sledgie and, with a few taps, they came off...He told me to try smearing a LITTLE bit of grease on the new rotor where it contacts the hub, in order to prevent rusting.

Clean rotors before assembly (white spirit of some sort) is a good idea too.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Crikey.... sledgies on rotors ???!!!! That'll stuff them...

I'd reckon your better off going to a decent brake mechanic... they'd use a HD puller.

There's less chance then of damaging your hubs... which aren't cheap to replace !!!

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Crikey.... sledgies on rotors ???!!!! That'll stuff them...

I'd reckon your better off going to a decent brake mechanic... they'd use a HD puller.

There's less chance then of damaging your hubs... which aren't cheap to replace !!!

same thoughts here.... bigger hammer != best solution.

aZk.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
hammers are a wonderfull thing for brake rotors mine were stuck on, like stated wd40 and a good hit with hammer fixed it.
the rear ones are a worry if the handbrake has worn a groove in the rotor, had to disconnect the hand brake and turn the adjuster in just to get the drivers side one off took a good 30 min to get it off.

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Bugger the hammer just use a bit of semtex and presto :yeah: