Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing Front Door Trim on VN - VS

GMH-DVL

Going for dream car!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SII Statesman FOR SALE!
helpful thanx

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
Well after removing my stock paper cones and putting in my mates old VX papercones [ better construction and for free so why not? ] i managed to work out how to take my trims off but again the ellusive window winder was always the tricky part.

my method worked ok though i suppose it can be damaging if you slip. but here we go.

you'll need a large flat blade screw driver and a slim or medium sized one,

using the larger screwdriver you insert it down behind the winder handle and doortrim [ wind the window so the knob that you grasp is the highest point] from here you can twist the screwdriver to give yourself a better look at the clip

using the second screwdriver you need to prise off one side of the clip and then gently work the other side untill you see the head of the clip come to the edge of the bottom of the winder, from here it is very simple to hook a hook or the slim screw driver behind the clip and give it a little pry and it should come off without flying at some insane velocity. [ if you still have the handle in the original suggested position it'll fly into the door pod anyway ] from there the winder and if fitted, "washer" [ plastic ring ] should just merrily slide off.

i'll insert a picture just below here giving a rough exploded view of how its setup. once i get a hold of a camera of some sort i'll try to take step by step photos.

hopefully this assits anyone trying this out for the first time.

Attachments

• winder.jpg
    winder.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,056

wal

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive v6/vc commodores
vt door trim

hi wish i read this thread first friday took me 4 hours to get front trim off to change speakers then saturday 2hours for back doors.....i followed the gregorys manual which explains it basicly but if anyone plans doing check out this site first...ecxent pics guys......ps take a few panadol before you start your first door (lol)

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
door trims take me about 5 minutes.. if that :p

fairly easy once you know how to do it, watching someone else do it helps alot.

wal

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive v6/vc commodores
next time

next time if i have to will be easier:bang:

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
i found the best way of removing the clip for the window winder is to use a fork make sure its a thin metal fork not a thick one and they come out easy as pie used this method on a vn vr vs and a vt :D

also you know theres a special tool you can get thats like a u shape that ive seen a couple mechanics use and you just push it in and it takes the clip off with zero effort

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer
wal said:
.....i followed the gregorys manual which explains it basicly but if anyone plans doing check out this site first...ecxent pics guys......

Cheers, gregories is ok, but who has those tools to remove the little clips?
I have since removed my trims like 5 times, yeh takes about 5 mins per door to remove now if that, just trying to remove those airvents without scratching vynal is the trickiest, clips come off easy enough now, still havent broken one, laughing... :yeah:

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
yeah killuminati i know those air vents sh*t me to tears as well. With alot of agrravation taking them out each time i've taken the door trim off though i've think i've gotten down a good method for it that doesn't involve having to pry away painfully with a screwdriver - you can get them out with your hands. If people are interested in the next couple of days i'll try and take a few pics, cause it's a little hard to explain, i just wish i did it this way the first time so my doors weren't all scratched up. By the way, i want one of those damn o-rings! lol. what section are they found in at supercheap???

P.S. if you break the little red lock inserts, you can pick them up for $2.30 down at your local holden parts dealer. This price was current as of about a week ago as i've managed to break one so i know.

Last edited:
G

Gezza

Door Trim

The old saying goes "if all else fails, read the instructions". I wish I had seen this thread before I gave time, blood sweat and tears trying to get the door trim off. Thank you to everyone who added instructions and pics. They are brilliant. Thanks for the help. In future, I will always check for instructions on this site FIRST!

killuminati

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Vacationer
Brycestro said:
i just wish i did it this way the first time so my doors weren't all scratched up.

Yeh, its too late for my trim, pretty scratched now, but im probably gonna paint it, so it will all be sanded back anyway :coolpimp: