Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing harmonic balancer

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
yeah, I have vn series one, but first time i took it off, it needed a puller, which i borrowed from a mate, but, as they say, sh!t happens and I no longer speak to this mate so can't borrow the tool no more..:( So, the three bolts to pull it off are a 1/4 in M6 thread...Right..Tops. Thanks Guys...P: Sorry to hijack your thread Neil 0..Didn't mean too..But hope this helps.. :)

VN series 1 don't have any bolt holes....only the big one that holds it on,thats why i said under normal service conditions,they should just slide off, with an aid of a couple of screwdrivers behind it in a non damaging spot if it is a little hard to get off with hands...

neilo 2

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp exectutive wagon
Thanks for all of your help I got some bolts today and rigged up a puller using the bolts. Unfortunately once pressure was applied the bolts stripped.I went back to using my three pronged puller on the front plate and eventually the H B came off, whether it is usable I dont know, it is badly distorted where the hooks of the puller contacted the front plate. I think the reason this was so hard to remove is the car has had some sort of front impact,I noticed there was a sizable dent in the front plate, probably jamming the HB in position.
I think I will be looking for a replacement just to be on the safe side. thanks again for your assistance, Seeya Neilo

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
My series one has bolt holes....Trust me...

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the bolts are 1/4" UNF, they cant be M6

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
My series one has bolt holes....Trust me...

:) i'm not doubting you.....it's just that when i went out to work shop,i have 4 VN's laying around,and they all have the one bolt,i was picturing the one you was talking about,maybe i was picturing the wrong one :) like the earliest of the commodores now they are M6

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
the um series one balancer if replace with a genuine one has to be replaced using the series 2 one.. the bolt and washer need to be replaced wit hthe series 2 one as well or something.. its always a good idea to use a puller.. the reason mine was fukked was cause some idiot b4 i owned the car tried to pull it off with a flat head.. mine was mint on the outside but on the inside teeth were bent and the counterweight was moving around

05 VZ SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 M6 Silver
Ok...So, mine could have already been replaced at some stage...Interesting....Well, will most prob take a look at it this weekend, and mine has developed a wobble...Rang Holden the other day and they wanted 315 for a genuine one, but they don't have any in stock any more...Might have to take a trip to american autos...

265grunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
vq stato vk calais
Yeah, I heard M6 are the thread bolts, but what about the diamter of the screw?

M6 is the diameter of the bolt, the only thing that changes is lenght and pitch either course or fine.

the s1 prob is unc\unf seeing these motors are from us where they dont use the metric system. but anything the holden designed here should be metric.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
yer they dont do a series one balancer anymore, they do a vp one which like i said need different bolt and washerwhich are another $60 at least.. i got mine for $100 cash from bursons, but thats a returned favour price.. genuine balancers arent going to be better, its like the timing chain everyone goes aftermarket, if your replacing it go with something better

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
I have a Rollmaster timing chain after market is that crap.