Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing harmony balancer advice

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
Ok I bought a harmonic ballencer puller that bolts to the bdllancer not realising that u can't use it... Everyone has advised against a claw puller what sort do I need

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The 3 bolts from the puller screw into the harmonic balancer where the 3 slots ,or slot is around the front of the balancer.You need three 1/4 UNF type bolts to fit the thread thats in these slots.If you use a 3 leg type puller,it can destroy the balancer as the balancer is just made from inner an outer metal parts,joined together with a strip of rubber,so pulling the balancer from around the outside of it with a leg type puller can actually seperate the metal from the rubber part and destroy the balancer.

Last edited:

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ second that

Stugdum

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute
If it helps you can use a standard HB puller on it even though there is a special one for commodore HB's. You just need a piece of steel rod (hardened if possible) that goes up the centre of the HB, which is just smaller in diameter than the thread, so it slides straight in. Cut it off so it just protrudes about 1/2cm out the front when it is bottomed out in there (so it can be retrieved again) and put the middle of the puller on that and it will work a treat.

stugdum

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I didnt buy any special puller just for use on a commodore,Mines just a general 3 bolt type harmonic balancer puller.I got mine from supercheap for $30,It came with bolts,but none of them were 1/4 UNF ,so I got them from a local hardware store.It works excellent.Only takes a couple of minutes to connect it up and pull the balancer.

jetboy

You learn til u die
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec
I didnt buy any special puller just for use on a commodore,Mines just a general 3 bolt type harmonic balancer puller.I got mine from supercheap for $30,It came with bolts,but none of them were 1/4 UNF ,so I got them from a local hardware store.It works excellent.Only takes a couple of minutes to connect it up and pull the balancer.

^^^^^^^^^^ Me too:beer chug::spot on::spot on:

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
The 3 bolts from the puller screw into the harmonic balancer where the 3 slots ,or slot is around the front of the balancer.You need three 1/4 UNF type bolts to fit the thread thats in these slots.If you use a 3 leg type puller,it can destroy the balancer as the balancer is just made from inner an outer metal parts,joined together with a strip of rubber,so pulling the balancer from around the outside of it with a leg type puller can actually seperate the metal from the rubber part and destroy the balancer.

Lucky I've only used it to remove and replace dodgy ones then haha

bpefi

Tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux Ute - Vs Ecotech Engine
If it helps you can use a standard HB puller on it even though there is a special one for commodore HB's. You just need a piece of steel rod (hardened if possible) that goes up the centre of the HB, which is just smaller in diameter than the thread, so it slides straight in. Cut it off so it just protrudes about 1/2cm out the front when it is bottomed out in there (so it can be retrieved again) and put the middle of the puller on that and it will work a treat.

stugdum

Hi I just removed mine - went to borrow a puller from my mechanic - he just uses a large 2 leg puller - I had one but couldn't use it due to lack of room (its in a Hilux) He said that there where about three different types of pullers so I used a std harmonic balancer puller - just had to buy the bolts - I just loosened the centre bolt & screwed it out a bit instead of using the "steel rod up the center idea" just have to keep moving it out at times - came off pretty easy. Loosening the bolt is easy - just fit a socket & breaker bar on there & hit the ignition key.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy

You can use a claw type, Ive done it several times.

The rubber is not the only thing holding the balancer together, there are bearings between the two metal parts - So even with all the rubber cut out they still stay together, there is just 15* or so movement between the inner and outer.