Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing headlights

hockysa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY - Series II - S Pac
hey guys just had a lil mishap. was changing the bulbs on my parkers and i managed to drop the bulb inside the headlight.

i tried taking the lamp out but wasn't successful. I took off the front grill to get to the last bolt. but couldnt wiggle the mofo out

is there any way to take out the headlights without removing the front bumper??

hockysa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY - Series II - S Pac
bump... can anyone help me?

Jobby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S Pack A4
I just had the same problem this morning, was installing LED bulbs for the parkers. The left light was fine, bit tight to wriggle the parker thing out, but for the right headlight I needed to remove (just unbolt) the battery to have enough room to wriggle the parker out. After finally getting it it, I turned on the parkers and one wasn't working, turns out the bulb fell into the headlight. I tried to vaccum it out, then also tried to take the headlight out without removing the bumper but that didnt work so I ended up taking off the front bumper (I quickly searched the forum for tips on taking the bumper off and followed "Windsurfing VY Wagon"s post)

Taking the bumper off was the only way for me to get the headlight out, as it gets jammed between the bumper. There was another tricky bit of actually getting the bulb out of the headlight, as the parker falls into other compartments of the headlight, so it will take a bit of shaking to get it out.

If you are asking about whether you need to remove the bumper to get the headlight out, I couldn't see another way of doing it.

hockysa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY - Series II - S Pac
I just had the same problem this morning, was installing LED bulbs for the parkers. The left light was fine, bit tight to wriggle the parker thing out, but for the right headlight I needed to remove (just unbolt) the battery to have enough room to wriggle the parker out. After finally getting it it, I turned on the parkers and one wasn't working, turns out the bulb fell into the headlight. I tried to vaccum it out, then also tried to take the headlight out without removing the bumper but that didnt work so I ended up taking off the front bumper (I quickly searched the forum for tips on taking the bumper off and followed "Windsurfing VY Wagon"s post)

Taking the bumper off was the only way for me to get the headlight out, as it gets jammed between the bumper. There was another tricky bit of actually getting the bulb out of the headlight, as the parker falls into other compartments of the headlight, so it will take a bit of shaking to get it out.

If you are asking about whether you need to remove the bumper to get the headlight out, I couldn't see another way of doing it.

ahh ok thanks for that.. but yeah dun need to take it out anymore my friend reckons its fallen out while driving lolz... so he jsut needs to buy another one tho..

Holden2gether

The short,chunky fella
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
You can get those little round magnets on a telescoping rod thingies. Go fishing,if the bulbs got any metal at all the magnet should pull it right back out the hole it fell in. Just for future reference.

Jobby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II S Pack A4
ahh ok thanks for that.. but yeah dun need to take it out anymore my friend reckons its fallen out while driving lolz... so he jsut needs to buy another one tho..

If it fell into the headlight, it seems unlikely it would fall out while driving as the only holes for it to fall out from are the plugs/caps. Even with the headlight out, sometimes it seemed like it wasn't even there as we couldn't see it or hear it rattling. If it's still inside, you may even need to take apart the headlight if it's in an awkward spot.

Sly_VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Series II Karma SV6 Sedan
Same thing happened to me (twice). The first time i found a broken off antenna from an old radio, and stuck a wad of sticky tape on the end and managed to fit it in there and got the bulb to stick to it. Bloody fluke i say. The second time i dropped the led in the right side behind the air filter box which has less room, so i was less successful and is still in there.

You guys think of any reason as to why the guy doing my service would have removed the white led's and replaced them with crap yellow bulbs again? havent had a chance to ask him, but though it was annoying and odd.

Cheers

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Guys

Removing the bumper facia is the only way of removing the leadlamp assembly. It takes aoout five minutes to remove the facia - its only held on by three screws at the top, immediately in front of the radiator, two on either side on the lip of the wheel arch (one at top, one below which you have to get down low to see, and two hidden plastic screw clips behind the number plate. Once you have removed them all, get a friend to support one side and simply pull the ends of the facia outwards and forwards to unclip them from the guards. The whole thing weighs about five kilos. Put it to one side carefully to avoid damaging the paint. Replacement takes about the same time, only trick is to clip the two ends back into the bottom of the front guards first before replacing any screws.

wazza675

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sportwagon
Thanks for the information supplied herein.
Discovered there were no bolts behind the number plate and nothing for them to go in.... oh well.

Makes removal and installation of the VE bumper look very complicate in comparison!!!

Thanks again.