Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 removing heads

Vlt_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais Turbo, Vn Calais 5L
I'm in the middle of hanging my self due to water pouring out the sump plug and i've decided to just bite the bullet and take the heads off.

Now, i've heard that i'll need a tool to remove the springs/rods or something, because i could drop a rod? ? ? but i can''t quite grasp it....
i understand the removal of intake manifold and exhaust, plus the alt and P/S brackets.
anyone done it?

It's just a 304 with mild cam, had roller rockers removed prior to me buying it if it makes a difference.

Cheers

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
To replace a head gasket (which im assuming you're attempting) is easy... You don't need to touch any of the valve springs or the collets, so just unbolt the head bolts and it should just come off. (with a bit of a wack with a rubber mallet but by rights they should of been placed on dry)

When I removed my head I did take off the rockers, if you do this don't worrie about anything being lost in the engine because you should by rights be replacing the valley cover gasket too and with the valley cover off everything is easy to reach, the issue is making sure you place everything back in the same way it came out.

Vlt_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that, yes i'm just gonna replace the head gaskets and have the heads checked out for cracks and decked.
i was thinking about changing the rockers if the funds permit, would i do those with the heads on or off?

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Make sure u clean ALL gasket surfaces so they don't have any **** on them, and make sure the **** u clean off them doesn't end up inside the motor!

Don't put ur head gaskets on back to front, it's easily done so make sure u check them b4 dropping the heads back on.

With the intake manifold gasket I use silicone (the blue stuff) around the outside of the water jackets. I just use a small smear then wipe it around the 4 of them, drop the gasket on, use some electrical tape or sumfin over the top corners to hold them in place, and put more silicone around the 4 holes again (opposite side of the gasket......or just put the silicone on the gasket b4 ya put it on). And instead of using the cork front and back gasket, lay a bead of silicone in place of the gasket, then drop the manifold on. Don't use too much silicone tho, ya don't want shitloads of excess pushing out when u bolt it all down coz you'll end up with alot inside ur motor which can break off and eventually clog up ur oil pickup, and yeah no oil is no good lol.

Vlt_Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that info, i've just finshed doing the heads and that was very useful info. . . then guess what happened......
filled it up with coolant and out the sump she pours once again...
so off came the water pump and i see a couple of small looking possible cracks so off came the timing cover and hello coolant.
i've ordered a timing cover and thinking about getting a timing set and new water pump just to go with all the new gaskets and thermostat, that way it's near new allround.
i've got a new sump and pickup lying around too, so 1 leak and it's going on.
Oh and it turns out she's got double row valve springs and aftermarket pushrods so i'm gonna get some roller rockers back on there..