Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing intake manifold (Grit on top of valves)

ZOOTV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden VZ SS Commodore
Hi Guys,

Before removing my intake manifold, I cleaned around everything as thoroughly as I possibly could to prevent any foreign matter falling in the engine.

Despite my best efforts, grit has fallen into the cathedral ports and is sitting on top and around the edges of the valves. I have never heard this mentioned before, but quite frankly can't see how it is possible to remove the intake manifold and have foreign matter fall down inside the ports.

Whats the best way to get this foreign matter out? I don't want it going any further into the engine to destroy my bearings. The grit is has oil residue so it is sticky. Has anyone got any ideas on how to best remove it? I tried using the vacuum cleaner but it didn't have enough suction. Then I attached a pen casing to the end but it was too short and also overheated the vacuum cleaner.

Thanks in advance guys I appreciate it.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Duct tape a piece of plastic or rubber hose maybe 15mm diameter to the vacuum cleaner nozzle and make sure it is long enough, but don't totally block the nozzle because vacs don't like that, leave 2/3rd of the nozzle open, then suck away, and if the hose is not sucking it up then use you finger to partially block the nozzle, and if the vacuum cleaner is not up to the task, borrow another one.
A short spray of degreaser down the ports may loosen up the gunk, but not a lot because electric vacs don't like moisture as well.

Last edited:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Vacuum Cleaner - stick hose in hole and remove foreign debris. Good luck.

ZOOTV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brilliant guys, thank you. Will let you know what happened.

ZOOTV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I ended up taping a piece of garden hose on the end and that seems to have done a pretty good job. Thanks fellas your help was invaluable today.