Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing srs/airbag

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
Removal of SRS system driver side only.

DISCLAIMER.
Removing the airbag or srs from a vehicle so fitted from the factory is ILLEGAL in nsw according to the RTA it will not pass blue slips, pink slips and may earn you a large red sticker.

Ok, that's out of the way....
I had a look at the compliance plates and rego papers, no where does it state that the car has srs except for the piddly little plate under the radio( that's on a BT1 anyway)

SAFETY.
PLEASE READ.

The srs must be deactivated before any work is carried out.
The airbag needs a radius if ONE METRE clearance all the way around incase of sudden inflation.
Airbags are fitted to cars for your safety.
THE AIRBAG CAN STILL INFLATE AFTER THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY AND/OR DEATH, PLEASE BE ADVISED USE EXTREME CAUTION AND BE WARY OF AIRBAG AT ALL TIMES.

I DO NOT CONDONE OR RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYBODY.

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
I have submitted the full thread for approval, I could also post it here I spose.

VRV6BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VR V6 BT1
DEACTIVATING THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

PLEASE READ SAFETY SECTION FIRST

1. Turn ignition off and lock steering wheel, remove key.

2.remove beaver panel from underneath steering column, there is a small lug on the left hand side at the back, use a flat blade screwdriver and/or a pair of pliers.

3.remove fuse number 18 (for VR/VR may be different in other models)

4.disconnect airbag wiring loom connector, its under the steering column and is yellow in colour.

REMOVAL OF AIRBAG

PLEASE READ SAFETY SECTION FIRST

1. Remove the 4 torx head screws that attach the horn pad and airbag.

2.VERY CAREFULLY remove horn pad and air bag assembly away from the steering wheel, disconnect the airbag wiring harness. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL THE AIRBAG CAN STILL DEPLOY WHILE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS DISCONNECTED, I RECCOMMEND HAVING THE DRIVERS DOOR OPEN AND ANGLING THE AIRBAG OUT TOWARDS THE DRIVERS DOOR AND STAYING AS FAR AWAY FROM IT AS POSSIBLE.

3.Gently lift airbag and horn assembly away from steering wheel and out of vehicle.DO NOT THROW INTO THE BIN PLEASE DISPOSE OF PROPERLY IT IS STILL DANGEROUS.

SENSOR REMOVAL

1.Remove the front seat by removing the bolts attahing it to the floor.

2.remove the 2 screw in the sensor cover.

3. Disconnect wiring loom from sensor unit.

4.remove sensor unit from floor pan.

REMOVING SRS STICKER.
1, use a screwdriver or something.
Residual glue can be removed using goo off or something similar.

This is normally done to add a sports or aftermarket steering wheel, usually people just remove the airbag and cover the airbag light with black tape.
Using the method I have described here should fix this problem. Although please remember it is ILLEGAL but that doesn't make it any less cool.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I hate to say this, but even facing the airbag away from you when it explodes it still hurts big time, burns everywhere. Just a word of warning, shouldn't happen but static electricity can jump when removed or if you conduct it when sliding on your seat with the air bag in hand WHOOPS

Jasminka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cerise Caprice
Removal of SRS system driver side only.

DISCLAIMER.
Removing the airbag or srs from a vehicle so fitted from the factory is ILLEGAL in nsw according to the RTA it will not pass blue slips, pink slips and may earn you a large red sticker.

Ok, that's out of the way....
I had a look at the compliance plates and rego papers, no where does it state that the car has srs except for the piddly little plate under the radio( that's on a BT1 anyway)
Sorry for digging up old thread, but recently I have seen Statesman/Caprices on Gumtree and Facebook Marketplace with aftermarket steering wheels. How are you going to register it? Even in states without inspection, if you got stopped for RBT, the cop should know vehicle came with airbags.

Veewhyfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VeeWhy
The cop should. So yeah, be careful.

For what it's worth I just swap wheels when I go to the track, the larger OE wheel is more comfortable anyway.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I didn't think all VR's came with airbags.....Upmarket models, did for sure

As for aftermarket steering wheels....There are ADR compliant ones available.

Agreed, cops do pick up on it and hit people accordingly...But those that do it generally don't care

Reactions: Lex