Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing towbar/rear bumper.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged Series II VY.
Hey guys,

Tomorrow I plan on removing my towbar (reinfored 2100kg one), I know I'll have to remove my rear bumper to do this, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a step by step to remove it? I've never done it before, and while I assume its simple, better to ask first than go right at it! And I know the 2100kg load towbars have a few extra bolt points, any issues I'll run into regarding that?

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Unscrew 4x plastic screws underneath, 2x screws in each mudflap, 1x screw in top of bumper in wheel arch, open boot, 2x plastic screws in bumper under where the boot closes, inside boot remove black plastic cover 4x plastic covers with screws underneath, 4x plastic push clips. Sometimes 2x plastic cargo net clips. Fold back carpet on both sides behind lights, 2x 10mm nuts each side of bumper in wheel well, bumper comes off at sides first start at inner wheel arch and unclip along panel line. Once bumper is off remove reinforce plate that runs across back of car 2x 17mm bolts each side, remove steel crush plates that hold reinforce bar 2x 19mm nuts each side. Takes 10 minutes.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Sometimes they are hard to unscrew as the thread gets filled with crap . Try and grasp the outside of the retainer while undoing the screw.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers guys. Once all screws are undone does it just fall off, or are there clips to pry off?

Also, is it a prick to put back on, will I need two people? etc.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hit a hurdle already. The two plastic screws on the bottom of the bumper are completely stuffed, no way will my screwdriver or drill be able to undo them. Looks like I'm not gonna be able to remove it?

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
Drill them out and a cable tie is your friend, exactly what i did haha

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Yeah just cut them out and put some new ones in, there cheap as hell to buy and a cable tie looks hmmmmmmmmmm rough, your call.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Both the bottom two screws and the top two broke, have cable tied the bottom, and just put some bolts in the top to hold it firm. All done and put back together, just need to pick up some proper pieces to officially put it all back together. Thanks again for the help!