Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing VN Ignition Barrel

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
sorry to drag up an old thread but i bought a statesman the had been stolen recovered. now im trying to swap the barrel with my vn one so i can drive it. the vn one ive removed, because i have the keys to turn it to the on position..
the statesman one i cant remove because i cant turn the thing. ive butchered it and even snapped an old key trying to snap it into position.

i was told that ive i stick a hole punch into the 2mm hole and break the steering lock i can pry it out but ive had no luck.

ive got the horn switch housing off and can see down the column, is there a way to push the steering lock down from inside the column or should i keep trying?

90lxcn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 lexcen
sorry to drag up an old thread but i bought a statesman the had been stolen recovered. now im trying to swap the barrel with my vn one so i can drive it. the vn one ive removed, because i have the keys to turn it to the on position..
the statesman one i cant remove because i cant turn the thing. ive butchered it and even snapped an old key trying to snap it into position.

i was told that ive i stick a hole punch into the 2mm hole and break the steering lock i can pry it out but ive had no luck.

ive got the horn switch housing off and can see down the column, is there a way to push the steering lock down from inside the column or should i keep trying?

try spray some rp7 or similar into the barrel and let it sit for a couple minutes than insert a mid size flat head screwdriver ( one with a decent grip best) and attempt it that way.. it worked on my old wagon i bought of the wreckers for a project car if not try finding a cheap locksmith in your area to come to you

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
try spray some rp7 or similar into the barrel and let it sit for a couple minutes than insert a mid size flat head screwdriver ( one with a decent grip best) and attempt it that way.. it worked on my old wagon i bought of the wreckers for a project car if not try finding a cheap locksmith in your area to come to you

its a stolen recoverd and it was drivable when i picked it up so theres a good chance the locking tab is snapped anyway. it seems a pretty random code because ive got a box of keys that would start almost any vn but none are working on this one so the wafers must be pretty good, i can take it into wirk but its the easter weekend and noones around.. reely wanted to get it going before orthadox easter next week lol

90lxcn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 lexcen
theres always the old twist certain wires to start method.....but i wouldnt know about that

kristi

Reaction score
hi guy just a uick question, i have a 1991 vn calais that when i got home to day the key decided to stay stuck in the on position the only way i could turn the car off was to unhook the battery, can anyone tell me why it did this and how to fix it? thanks

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
if you were desperate till the locksmith shows up you could shoot some wd40 down the barrel see what happens.... its not ideal but ive done it before to free a sticking barrel assembly...

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
if you were desperate till the locksmith shows up you could shoot some wd40 down the barrel see what happens.... its not ideal but ive done it before to free a sticking barrel assembly...

Agree with this, I have freed many stuck locks like this, mostly door locks but it works.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
It's not that simple to remove, that's not going to aid in removing the barrel.
So how did you stop it running after disconnecting the battery? because that won't work

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
I really wish people would stop giving incorrect advice..

The barrel isnt what clicks and then springs back, the ignition switch attached to the back of the barrel controls that.

If the barrel wont turn back to the off position (meaning it turns without clicking) then you need to
-remove the grey covers, find the black ignition switch on the opposite side (back) to the barrel with the wires hanging off it..
--unscrew two grub screws to remove it.
-once the switch is off, with a small screw driver insert it into the white hole that the ignition barrel dick normally sits into, and turn it off..

Now, two things could be wrong.. if the ignition switch wont click off with the screw driver, it means that switch was the problem, if the back(dick) of the barrel is snapped, you need a new barrel