Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing VR Dash Cluster and Surround

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
As the title says after some input on how to remove the Instrument Cluster and the surround (part that has the air con botton, etc)??? Have tried everything and good old Gregories is usless........
Cheers........

Locksmiff

Reaction score
The surround around the gear stick coems off and theres screws under that near where it meets the radio surround. The facia has 2 up the top in cluster area, just above it, it is mostly held in by lugs , which you will most likely break them if you dont take it ever so careful. The actual cluster itself will nearly drop out from this point.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
As best me and Jake could work out there is acctually 4 screws to hold it in, two above the cluster and another two above the stereo. The second set are visable but can not get to them.......

johnC

Reaction score
Members Ride
(Did have..) VSII Exec V6 A4
I took the bit of plastic off around the air-con switch in my VS the other day. You need to undo the two phillips head screws underneath the top of the dash infront of the speedo (it helps to move the steering wheel down as far as it can go). Then the large bit of plastic from the headlight switch right across to where the hazard, AC, demist swiches are can be pulled out - there are no more screws, you just need to pull the plastic away from the clips... try carfully levering it with a screwdriver or a key. When you pull this piece of plastic off, you will notice that the headlight swich and the AC etc switches (and the middle airvents) are attached to it - so don't pull it out too far.
That's as far as I got... I had to glue the airvents back on because some dodgy service person had broken the screw holes for them and the vents started falling into the dash!
As for removing the cluster... not sure - removing this (above) piece is probably the first step though.

I hope this get's you started. - John.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
Exactly what I was trying to say yesterday Dave ;) The only screws holding the fascia panel are the ones you've removed. You just prise off the passenger end as Locky and John have said. It'd been years since I'd done it and didn't want you breaking anything in the event I was wrong.

From memory the lugs/clips hold itut on pretty damn tight, I located the points with the least flex and levered it ofrom there. Go that way unless someone can post an pic with the exact locations marked, might be good to stop others snapping it.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
OSL-060 said:
Exactly what I was trying to say yesterday Dave ;) The only screws holding the fascia panel are the ones you've removed. You just prise off the passenger end, it'd been 3 years or so since I'd done it and didn't want you breaking anything.
Same. I am more worried about them breaking the lugs, then finding where all the screws arent, that you think should be holding it on, only to find they are lugs....but I must have said it wrong. :p

NKX

Reaction score
Does this help?

dashbits.jpg

1. Remove Orange 1 & Orange 2, these two screws are visible at the top of the instrument panel before removing anything. Dropping the steering wheel to its lowest position before starting helps.

2. At this point you can remove the headligh selector if you wish, or else start removing the tabs holding the dash insert in. These are numbered Red 1 through Red 5. I personally like to remove the headlight/illumination switch and use that short side to start pulling the dash insert out.

3. Using a screwdriver insert it to where the Red X numbers are and lift gently. The tabs should just pop out. I may have missed a tab location on the far right side near the headlight selector - I can't remember... see if it gives.

4. After getting the insert loose, disconnect the Hazard light / Air Con / Demister plugs from the rear of the insert (and the headlight selector too if you haven't already done this).

5. Remove the now visable Orange 3 and Orange 4 screws. At this point the whole dash insert will just pull out. As you can see from the photo it is held in and made working by the Orange, Blue, Orange connecters.

All Done.

Murray

Last edited:

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
That doesn't help..........................it's bloody brilliant! ;)

It'll save many a broken one

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
I removed my cluster yesterday as per the above instructions which wasn't a problem, however I did not disconnect the batterie first. also when I took the cluster and dash off the light switch was on...
today when I jumped in the car it was completly flat, I tried to jump it in the correct order and it would bearly turnover. I then hooked the dash up turned the light switch off and had another go at jumping it. this time sweet as started excellently. my question is, is it possible I have done some damage that I don't know about???????????????????????????????????????????????????????.
all lights dash lights etc are working fine as well as batterie

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
forgot to mention this morning when I did start it this morning first time it was sweet......it was after a little drive and restarting that I starting having the probs.....i hope I have not wrecked anything........