Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Repaired Car Resale Value

shelton528

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Z Series - VF2 Motorsport Edition
Last month I purchased a 5000km "demo" SV6 from a Holden Dealer and 2 weeks later I finally figured out that it has had some sort of crash and has been repaired. Really good repair I spose, the only thing that gave it away was a bit of overspray on the right tail light and the tow rack, and some small burn spots on the drivers side rear window from grinder sparks I think.

Ok, I know I'm an idiot and I should have had it inspected, but seriously a demo from a holden dealer, I shouldn't have had to! Anyway my questions are has anyone else experienced this and will this affect my resale value, I plan on selling in 3 years and would really like to not have my pants pulled down.

HussySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW GOLF GTD
When we were trading in our old VE 07 the door was replaced (PROPERLY UNDER HOLDEN) and then when we were trading the car in for my current VE at a different dealer, when they gave us the trade in price on your first VE , we were like wtf why that cheap and the guy did mention the 100,000ks it has done then the door had a little abit of a affect. I dought it would matter in private selling it!

Also i would take it back to the dealer you got it from, and just have a friendly chat! Maybe they might through in longer warranty or even replace it, just have a chat .

AJT-SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 [3.6L M6]
Last month I purchased a 5000km "demo" SV6 from a Holden Dealer and 2 weeks later I finally figured out that it has had some sort of crash and has been repaired. Really good repair I spose, the only thing that gave it away was a bit of overspray on the right tail light and the tow rack, and some small burn spots on the drivers side rear window from grinder sparks I think.

Ok, I know I'm an idiot and I should have had it inspected, but seriously a demo from a holden dealer, I shouldn't have had to! Anyway my questions are has anyone else experienced this and will this affect my resale value, I plan on selling in 3 years and would really like to not have my pants pulled down.
Was it a Poison Ivy one from Heartland at Castle Hill by any chance?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
It won't have any affect as long as it's not listed as a repairable write off and the repairs are up to spec.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I dont know about other people, but to me it DEFINITELY affects resale. The reason I say this is because if I was the buyer, I wouldnt want to hear that ANY damage has occurred to the car.
To me, there are so many other cars out there to pick from.... why pick one that has been repaired, unless it's a bargain. 2 cars next to each other- identical in every way except the repaired damage (no matter how minor). Which one would you take?

The fact that you could tell it's been repaired just by looking at it tells me the repair hasnt been done properly... and you arent an expert. You try and trade in your car with someone that is trained to look for this type of thing and I reckon the money they offer will be less than normal.

I'd be pissed if I bought a repaired "demonstrator".... thats for sure. Ultimately its buyer beware and you shouldve looked properly, but like you said- it's a deomonstrator from a dealership.... it's reasonable to assume that such a car doesnt have damage. Go back to dealer first, then if no love head office. Maybe even a call to the NSW Fair Trading Office just to get advice, because you havent exactly received the product that you thought you were purchasing. It's implied by most common folk that a demonstrator doesnt have repaired damage on it, and Fair Trading might be able to shed some more light on this area. It would be reasonable to assume that a 5,000km demonstrator car from its original dealer should no longer be advertised as a "demonstrator" due to repaired damage, because it no longer represents a 'new car being demonstrated'. Misleading... because the word "demonstrator" implies "otherwise new, but has been driven around the block a few times". Not "dodgy spray painted repair job, come and buy it for demonstrator pricing!"

shelton528

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Z Series - VF2 Motorsport Edition
Thanks Guys, I'll give a call to the NSW Fair Trading and see what they think, but i don't think it will matter,
bottom line is buyer beware, will know better next time.

AJT-SV6, wasn't the Poison Ivy one but it was from Heartland at Castle Hill, they seem to make a habit of this then?
buy repaired cars at auction then sell them as "Demo's"... tossers! my salesman was Norm, hopefully he will get his...

AJT-SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 [3.6L M6]
AJT-SV6, wasn't the Poison Ivy one but it was from Heartland at Castle Hill, they seem to make a habit of this then?
buy repaired cars at auction then sell them as "Demo's"... tossers! my salesman was Norm, hopefully he will get his...
I was looking for SV6s about two months ago when they were on sale new for $35000, they had a Poison Ivy demo which was missing the black turret mould that goes across the top above the doors. My dad is a panel shop manager and picked out the re-painted bits. And it smelt like dog and had hair in it. Had to contain my laughter when they wanted $33000 for it (about 4000kms I think) - ended up with a new Hazard one from Hawkesbury via interstate.

It's not as uncommon as you'd think, sometimes damaged new stock gets repaired but can't be sold as "new" so becomes a demo.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
There is no way the dealer had to disclose there was repairs done on the car. Similarly to the fact there is no way you have to.

DFT will want nought of this.

They DO have to back it with their warranty though.